harpcolumn

Broken strings

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Broken strings

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    elizabeth-palladino
    Participant

I’ve had my Dusty Strings FH26 for three years and never yet broken a string. In the two months that I’ve had my FH36S, I’ve broken two of the low, phosphor-bronze core strings, (31 and 32) while tuning carefully and not overdoing it. Is this a common situation? Are these low strings especially touchy?

Have you ever changed those strings? maybe they’re old?

elizabeth-palladino
    Participant

It’s a new harp from Dusty–I ordered it in November of 2011, and got it Jan. 17, 2012.

deb-l
    Participant

hi Elizabeth,

elizabeth-palladino
    Participant

Thanks, Deb. In the beginning, everything tended to go sharpish–now everything tends to go flattish. (The crazy weather is not helping–with the windows open so early–even though the harps and the piano are nowhere near them–their tone changes, I think.) I do have to tune daily so far. I think that will change as the harp settles in–my FH26 was the same in the beginning, but after a while it stayed in tune much, much longer. I will treat the FH36S bass strings with kid gloves–although I swear I was not being vigorous with them. I do understand from my reading that those phosphor-bronze cores just do not stretch.

deb-l
    Participant

hi Elizabeth, I’m glad you posted this I had no idea the phosphor-bronze cores were so touchy.

deb-l
    Participant

hi Elizabeth, I am having this same problem too now with my FH36.

elizabeth-palladino
    Participant

Hi Deb–After my earlier postings, I’ve never had any further problems. I think I was being careful, but not careful enough. Now when I tune the phosphor-bronze core strings, I turn by the most infintesimal increments–I’m really careful with it.

deb-l
    Participant

breaking those wires right under your nose while tuning gives quite a fright doesn’t it?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.