harpcolumn

Bringing a harp to the beach

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Bringing a harp to the beach

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rachael Rosenbaum
    Participant

BS”D

Okay, so last year I brought my gut-strung harp to the beach for a day and a half.  I believe it was two strings that snapped, right there in front of me!  It was freaky but thankfully before the performance and I had spare strings!  Since then I have acquired a nylon-strung travel harp, and that is the harp I hope to bring to the beach this year.  Are there any precautions I should take?  My understanding is that gut-strung harps fare most poorly with the sea air…so hopefully the nylon-strung one won’t have an issue?

Biagio
    Participant

Sudden changes in temperature and humidity are not good for any harp – it is the shrinking or swelling of wood that has the major effect on breaking strings.  That said, nylon is more elastic than gut so you may have less of a problem but you will still be tuning frequently.  Obviously the higher the tension the more likely tuning and breakage issues will be, no matter where you are.

If you (that’s a general “you” folks) want a small harp to regularly play in challenging conditions such as the beach, camping, etc. choose a nylon strung with high density ply laminate sound board (or a carbon fiber body if you can afford it).  Go for practical over pretty.

Biagio

Rachael Rosenbaum
    Participant

BS”D

Thanks Biaggio, this was informative!  My harp is a Grand Harpsicle, not high tension, nylon strings… So hopefully it will be ok 🙂

Biagio
    Participant

I’m happy if that was useful Rachael.  I’m curious to know if your Grand Harpsicle has the new Rees levers, and if so how you like them?

Thanks!

Biagio

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.