harpcolumn

Bridge Pins – distance to neck

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Bridge Pins – distance to neck

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

On an old troubadour, I am hoping to change out the brass L&H Levers with Delacour levers. I have installed Delacour levers before and know that the bridge pin is set much closer to the neck than the L&H bridge pin. This change on the troubadour would bring the strings closer to the neck. My question: is moving the plane of the strings okay?

paul-knoke
    Participant

Yes. Moving the strings closer to the neck will reduce the torque on the neck and prolong the life of the harp.

Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

I finally got the courage to start this project.  What I ended up doing is cutting the bridge pin shorter.  Do you think this is acceptable or would drilling the hole deeper be preferred for a particular reason?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Biagio
    Participant

I’d drill them deeper and while at it use threaded pins.  Depends on the original hole of course but in any case I want at least half the pin length below the wood surface.  Any shorter and there is a good chance of them getting pulled out of line.

Biagio

I have never seen these called bridge pins. I think they are stationary nuts.

Biagio
    Participant

“Sometimes you feel like a nut – sometimes you don’t” as the old ad says.  I have only heard of a nut on guitars, violins, and similar.  It goes with out saying that they are stationary.

This is what I mean by “threaded bridge pins.”  I like the hex headed ones shown here from Dusty Strings; there are other types with different heads.  The threads make it much easier to set the length than the older type with smooth shafts.  The hex head lessens a chance of burring compared to slotted or Phillips heads.

http://manufacturing.dustystrings.com/harps/hardware/threaded-bridge-pins/

Biagio

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Biagio.
    Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

The new levers came with threaded bridge pins, but the problem is the diameter is smaller than the existing hole.  I did examine that the cut bridge pin still has a tad more than half of its length below the surface as suggested.

Biagio
    Participant

Well, I guess you have a choice Sidney.  Go ahead with the cut down ones or plug the old holes with a hardwood dowel (or even just bamboo skewers and Titebond glue) and re-drill.  Depends on how comfy you feel with the shorter shafts and how much work you want to go through:-)

Speaking for myself, as long as the strings are already off I’d go with “plug and re-drill”.

Have fun with your “new old harp”!

Biagio

teifiharps
    Participant

Hi Sidney,
    That is fine in theory but make sure you have enough adjustment for the change in intonation that may come with fitting new semitones.

regards

Owen

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies