column

Bow vs. Burgandy

Home Forums Coffee Break Bow vs. Burgandy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

So I know what the difference between these two strings types is SUPPOSED to be – that the Burgandy are Bow that simply have not undergone a visual inspection and so may have visual imperfections but are supposed to have the same sound – but I’ve heard that Burgandy strings may now be inferior in sound to Bow, not just in looks. Opinions?

~Sam

tony-morosco

I haven’t noticed a difference. I just restrung the top three octaves of my harp, two of which I did in Burgandy strings, and they seem pretty much the same as always.

unknown-user
    Participant

That’s good to hear. Has anyone had a different experience? I think I remember Saul once saying that he thought that Burgandy was inferior in sound quality…

~Sam

unknown-user
    Participant

Anyone?

andy-b
    Participant

I can’t speak specifically about the difference, but I can say that I’m on my second Camac harp (first a Clio, now an Athena), and on both, I switched from the Camac strings they came with to Burgundy, and liked them much better. There was some slight inconsistency in the color from one string to another, but the sound, to me, is fuller and richer on the Camac harps than the Camac strings…and much cheaper.Hope this helps,
    Andy

I haven’t bought Burgundy strings for two years or so, so I don’t know how they are currently. At that time, I was finding them to be more inferior than simply having cosmetic problems, as advertised. Perhaps at that time all the strings were less true in pitch, I don’t know. I had several where the varnish shattered when I bent the string to tie the knot. That ruined the sound pretty well. It didn’t fall off, but lost its clarity and integrity. Hopefully, since Emily opened up the discussion, Bow is going to work on providing what we need, which I hope will include improved Burgundy strings.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Andy, I’ve been using Vanderbilt Classic Gut on my Camac since being told when I bought the harp that those were closest to the Camac strings. Did you ever try Classic and, if so, how did they compare (for you) to the Burgundy?

andy-b
    Participant

Hi, Catherine:
    Sorry, but I haven’t tried the Classic on either of my Camacs. I’d be interested to hear myself from anyone that has tried them.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

I loved them and am so sad they are no longer available.

kent-vogel
    Participant

I am going to be researching this string problem. I feel that

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.