harpcolumn

best amp for pedal harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories best amp for pedal harp?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Sylvia
    Participant

After all these years, my least favorite thing is trying to find an amp that will be LOUD.

tony-morosco
    Participant

Amps are a tough topic. It is very subjective. Also there are often needs that require features that can take precedence over sound. For instance many people are more concerned with portability and having something battery powered, but personally, while some of those are acceptable sounding, I have yet to find one that really sounds as good as many amps that lack those particular features.

My amps of choice for harp are the Fender Acoustasonic series. They are specifically designed for use with acoustic instruments, can handle the full range of the harp with little difficulty, have good on board eq, two channes input so you can separate out the bass from treble and eq them separately, and best of all it has a feedback control that helps eliminate that screeching.

Oh, and they can be cranked up very loud.

One area where harpists need to catch up with the guitarists and bassists of the world, in my opinion, is in attention to amps. Most guitarists have come to learn that if you are playing amplified then your amp is half your sound, as important as your instrument. That’s why guitarists often have multiple amps for different music, just as they often have different guitars for different kinds of music. There isn’t a one size fits all solution, and a lot has to do with what the individual musician wants in terms of tone.

Ultimately you need to go try a bunch out and hear for yourself the comparison between different amps. A much bigger pain to do when you play the harp as opposed to guitar, but ultimately worth the effort.

Sylvia
    Participant

Thank you, Tony, but I looked online, and I think it’s just too heavy.

bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

I would go for “Jam 150 +” made by

I’m also in the market for an amp.

I need something that would be transportable and not too expensive to purchase, but still decent quality.

Regardless, what models have worked for you all?

Thanks!

onita-sanders
    Participant

My best advice is to take your harp to a well stocked music center that has all the amps and effects you could possible want.

Thanks! I will definitely go try some out.

Would you be able to give me an idea of what price range I would be looking at?

onita-sanders
    Participant

I wish I could, because it has been too long.

Sylvia
    Participant

“I would go for “Jam 150 +” made by

Stephanie
    Spectator

I just started using the Crate Taxi Limo (TX50DB)-it’s great for outdoor weddings and noisy cocktail hours.

Sylvia
    Participant

Stephanie, I see this amp is available thru Guitar Center.

Sylvia
    Participant

I read the reviews, and they say it buzzes at high volumes and breaks down a lot…not too encouraging.

Stephanie
    Spectator

I have a Fishman “soundboard transducers for piano and harp”

kay-lister

I have a Laney Amp.

Sylvia
    Participant

I had a stick-on type thing when I first started out, and the cord was a trial to deal with, plus what with unsticking and re-sticking, its stickum didn’t last long.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics