harpcolumn

Bernard Zighera reference resources

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Bernard Zighera reference resources

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

My grandfather, Bernard Zighera, died when I was very young,

can you recommend any reference resources I could use to

research him?

unknown-user
    Participant

There are books about the Boston Symphony Orchestra that mention him. He played harp as well as piano. He won 1st prize in harp at the Paris Conservatoire, and in piano the next year. He read new scores at the piano for maestro Koussevitzky. There are many archives I am sure dealing with Koussevitzky and the BSO, not to mention Tanglewood. I met your grandfather in 1980 at Tanglewood, which was one of his last seasons. His hands were very large and powerful looking, yet completely relaxed. I remember hearing him play. The BSO may have an archivist, and you can also check newspaper and periodical indexes. Louise Pappoutsakis was his second harpist, followed by Ann Hobson. Good fortune in your search.

alexander-rider
    Participant

Louise Pappoustakis was a student of Zhigera, she was also married to a rather famous flute pedagogue, so if you search her name on the web, you will find several references, anecdotes and snippets concerning Bernard Zhigera; hope this helps.

Eric, Joyce Rice, chairperson of http://www.harpspectrum.org,

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve settled Mrs Zighera’s estate (she was Bernard’s 2nd wife), and have found

scrapbook materials and photos if you are interested.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics