harpcolumn

Berlioz Symphonie Fastastique

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Berlioz Symphonie Fastastique

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    karen-conoan
    Participant

Was just doing some research on Berlioz’ Symphonie Fantastique and I came across the Wikipedia article; it says the instrumentation is TWO harps.

Jessica Frost
    Participant

I know there are 2 distinct harp parts but I believe Berlioz wanted at least 6 harpists per part.

unknown-user
    Participant

If you look at a score, it says Harpes I and Harpes II, not specifying how many, but definitely more than one. But if the tempo is too fastastique, it won’t necessarily help! He wrote about it in his memoirs, which are fun to read and illuminating. I’ll see if I can correct the article partway.

unknown-user
    Participant

I saw nothing about orchestration.

Jessica Frost
    Participant

Yes his memoirs are enjoyable to read, but he mostly mentions the orchestra he’d like to work with in his treatise on orchestration.

Bonnie Shaljean
    Participant

Remember that the harps we are talking about would have been Grecians (Erard’s initial double-action model) which were smaller and less powerful. The “big-gig” harp that you tend to see in most photos of concert artistes of the time was the larger and louder Gothic, which didn’t make its appearance until five or six years after Symphonie Fantastique premiered.

Therefore they would certainly have needed a whole battalion of harps.

karen-conoan
    Participant

Thanks, Saul, Jessica, & Bonnie and all who contribute to this thread.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.