harpcolumn

Beauty and the Beast-

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Beauty and the Beast-

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    joan-steinberg
    Participant

Is anyone familiar with the harp part for the show “Beauty and the Beast”?

Devon Carpenter
    Participant

Get some glissando picks!

Miriam Shilling
    Participant

Yes, that’s right.

joan-steinberg
    Participant

Well, I finally got the harp part for Beauty and the Beast.

brian-noel
    Participant

When I

David Ice
    Participant

I once got a rental part for A CHORUS LINE and I was astounded that some earlier harpist had written–in RED INK–on the cover, in so many words:

” Please do not erase the pedal markings and other markings in this part.

joan-steinberg
    Participant

I posted a while back about Beauty and the Beast, and the performances are this week.

Joan,

I saw this idea somewhere but can’t remember; wish I could give proper credit.

Get a long piece of 1/4″ wide black elastic – at least 5 feet. Drape it around your neck and decide what length you prefer, leaving a little slack. Then take a nail and poke a hole through the wide end (about 1/4″ towards the center) of each pick. Thread the elastic through and tie a double knot along the edge, trimming the ends if necessary.

I played “Carousel” this past weekend. There aren’t a ton of glisses but when there are, you have to go immediately into bass-chord-bass-chord/boom-chick-boom-chick. This way, I could play a gliss and just ‘drop’ the picks to play chords. The picks are then either on your lap or hanging at your side the next time you need them.

Other musicians are pretty curious. One time someone said it looked like a 21st century vestment. 😮

Julie in Atlanta

alice-freeman
    Spectator

I also keep my picks around my neck on an elastic

r-pista
    Participant

Whoa! How did you manage to get through that without picks? I subbed on this show on Broadway for a few years and would not have been able to get through it without picks. “Be out Guest” is basically one big gliss. Didn’t you shred up your fingers?

joan-steinberg
    Participant

Yes, I would never be getting through this show without the picks.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.