harpcolumn

backpains

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists backpains

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Since I started playing the harp, my long forgotten backpains returned. I tried several things, but nothing really worked. I noticed that more harpplayers have this problem. My nephew came to live with me, he plays the drums. On a drumstool. I tried out several stools in a drumshop, and searched the internet,

barbara-low
    Participant

Glad you found a solution to your back pain. I’ve used a drummer’s throne for years. Got the recommendation from a harpist who’s husband is a physical therapist and have passed the recommendation onto other harpists. I use the TAMA Ergo-Rider.

andy-b
    Participant

Regarding pain and injury, one thing that’s very important to remember is that while it can occur in the lower back, it can also occur to the upper back, neck and shoulders. It’s vitally important that new players let a teacher see them sitting at their harp with the stool or chair they will be practicing on. Sitting too high can lead to hunching over and twisting of the neck, upper back and shoulders. This happened to me many years ago, and I had to go to a chiropracter for months.

armande-fryatt
    Participant

I’ve noticed that I can get back pain if I carry too much tension. See a good teacher and they may surprise you in the way you are holding yourself

Thank you all for the replies. My teacher is watching the way I hold my back carefully, and so far so good. At home I look at the way I sit every 5 to 10 minutes or so, and I find it more easy now then in the beginning, to stay in the wright position. I hope in time my back will stay in the automatic pilot while playing the harp…

Have a Happy and Musical New Year.

Core muscle exercise is the most important thing, it will support and stabilize your lower back. Do not sit on anything that will swivel while playing. Drum stools don’t look good, but they can do the trick. When I am visiting home, I use a bathing bench.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.