harpcolumn

Awaiting arrival of my first harp. Have a few questions if nobody minds.

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Awaiting arrival of my first harp. Have a few questions if nobody minds.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    sheila reiss
    Participant

I have just purchased a 12 string Celtic lap harp. Yes, it’s small and limited. Unfortunately so is my budget. I have been playing classical piano for 44 yrs. I have always wanted to learn to play the harp (as a hobby, not professionally). Can anyone recommend sheet music for this tiny instrument? All of the music I see on line is for at least 19 strings. Of course I could do some transposing to compensate, but I would rather spend my time learning technique. Would any of you consider this a credible first learning instrument? I would appreciate any and all responses. I envy your abilities. Enjoy your playing and thank you in advance.

Sheila R.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Hi Sheila- One of the nicest things about this website is that there are a lot of professional harpists here but also a lot of musicians who are starting the harp as adults.

I started on a 19 string cardboard harp that had, and still has, a lovely tone. a harp without levers has no capacity for any chromatic passages, and to change keys you have to retune.

You will certainly be able to practice finger technique on your new harp, but you will soon learn it’s limitations.

Although I love Celtic (lever) harp I had cataracts that made changing levers cumbersome, so after studying for about three years, I went to pedal harp.

Finger technique is still my biggest challenge but playing the harp is immensely rewarding.

I hope you will find it as delightful an experience as I have.

Sherry L

sheila reiss
    Participant

Hi Sherry. Thank you for your input. I’m curious….you mentioned “cardboard” harp. This is an adjective that keeps coming up online, but I am not familiar with it’s concept. It was suggested to me by another member as being a viable option where upgrading is concerned because of the economic aspect. Exactly what is meant by “cardboard” harp?

thanks,

Sheila R.

harperboy Fuller
    Participant

Hi Ms. Reiss…I started with a 19-string Pakistani harp (shaped-object) which many people do not consider a valid musical instrument…I played it anyway and took it to Iraq for 6 months last year with the army…Do not let your imagination be limited by what others think

Paul and Brenda
    Participant

This place has cardboard harp kits.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5676132_make-cardboard-harp.html

Nancy Palmer
    Participant

Waring makes a harp kit that’s very inexpensive and doesn’t sound horrible at all. Search youtube for “cardboard harp” and see what you find!

The sound box is fiberboard. I’m considering getting a couple of these for our homeschool kids to tool around with.

http://www.waringmusic.com/new_page_6.htm

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.