Awaiting arrival of first harp. Have several questions

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    sheila reiss on #158103

Hello. I am currently awaiting the arrival of my first harp. I bought a 12 string Celtic Baby Harp. It is all that I can afford presently. I have studied and played the piano for 44 years. I have been teaching for 16. I know music. However, I am looking for sheet music for 12 strings (for the new harp). All of the music that I have seen online is for at least 19 strings. Can anyone tell me if there is published music for this 12 string (octave 1/2) instrument. Secondly,
    though, as I stated, I currently am limited to the 12 string harp, do you feel, small though it is, this is a credible learning instrument? I would appreciate and all answers as I am very excited about this new musical experience. Thank you in advance.

kay-lister on #158104

Hi Sheila,

Welcome to the world of harps!

Participant
    sheila reiss on #158105

Kay,
    Thank you for your quick response. I do expect to outgrow this first harp in the near future, but I look forward to the initial experience. Needless to say, there are no sharpening levers on this intro instrument. Can I manually tune it by adjusting the tension and the F and C strings enough to sharpen them and thus put the instrument into the key of D for example…thereby expanding the variety of songs? (It’s really amusing to me how excited I am about a $90 harp….considering I own a $10,000 baby grand piano. I guess it’s the novelty of it all…..such a mesmerizing sound.)
    Thanks again.

kay-lister on #158106

Hmmmm – $90.00?

Participant
    sheila reiss on #158107

Thanks Kay. Of course I was aware of the quality and limitations when I ordered this, but for now I will bide my time…..play small…..and dream big. When I feel confined with 12 strings….I will pivot and address 88 keys. All in good time (no pun intended). Thank you for your time Kay. Wishing you a wonderful holiday season. I’m sure you’ll provide lots of melody. Maybe I will drop a line in the future if you don’t mind.
    Take care and
    Thanks again.
    Sheila R.

kay-lister on #158108

Best to you Sheila, Merry Christmas and so GLAD to hear that the harp bug has bitten once again.

Kay

Participant
    Tacye on #158109

Hi Sheila, it sounds like you have fairly realistic expectations of this instrument, I hope it starts something for you which goes much further!

Participant
    Saul Davis Zlatkovski on #158110

You can play all kinds of medieval music, with a simple bass line, a drone, or single notes or fifths on the lower strings. They don’t have so much range and are often diatonic. You can also play jigs, reels, and the like, which come by the yard.

Participant
    sheila reiss on #158111

Thank you very much for your input. I’m very much looking forward to this new experience. My passion has been the piano for the past 44 years, and it remains so. However, there has always been a buried desire to play the harp (I guess it’s a string-thing). Again, thank you.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.