harpcolumn

Ave Maria (Schubert) arrangement needed

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Ave Maria (Schubert) arrangement needed

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I have been asked by our high school orchestra director to accompany a soprano singing the Schubert Ave Maria in Bb.  My concern is the auditorium seats about 700 people and without amplification, I don’t think the harp sound will carry well enough.  I suggested perhaps harp with strings or other accompaniment. The orchestra director is concerned about an arrangement being too note-y or mushy. The one I heard on youtube that was very pleasant and enhanced the singer was by Andre Rieu.  But, it is a proprietary arrangement and not available.  Does any one have suggestions for a Bb arrangement?  Thank you.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Somebody, I can’t remember who, published a book of arrangements of the Schubert Ave Maria in every possible key. See if you can find that.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Thank you, Carl. You are thinking about the harp arrangements of Ave Maria in multiple keys by D. Rees-Rohrbacher. There is also a new one on HC Music by Jaymee Haefner. I am looking for an arrangement for harp and other instruments to accompany a soprano in Bb.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Hi, Gretchen–sorry I do not know of an arrangement of the Ave Maria with other instruments to suit your need.  Is there some reason you cannot amplify your harp?

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Big orchestra and singers taking up the entire stage and a lot of shuffling go on during the program.   It may come to amplifying but the preference is not to, especially just for one 5 minute piece of music.

Sylvia
    Participant

Maybe your director could get an orchestra version of the Ave, and you could just play your usual one along with them.  The orchestra version would probably also be in Bb, since that’s the original key.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Thanks, Sylvia. I have ordered from Kalmus the only orchestra version I could find. The string versions I found mimic the piano accompaniment.  I was hoping someone has played the Ave Maria with a chamber orchestra or string ensemble.  It is time consuming and expensive to guess what might work.  The program is in mid-January.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.