Are you able to get a music degree using a lever harp?

Posted In: Young Harpists

• Participant
    unknown-user on #167204

I am in tenth grade and I am currently playing a lever harp. I was wondering if it is possible
    to get a degree in Music Education or Music Performance with a lever harp.

Participant
    carl-swanson on #167205

I have never heard of a college degree in lever harp.

Participant
    unknown-user on #167206

Nope. But you can still go pro on Lever harp. Look at Sylvia Woods. If its a degree you’re seeking, you’ll definetely need to make the transition to pedal harp. But don’t worry, its not too hard! Pedal harp rocks!
    Most harpists will seek a Harp Performance degree, or where available, a Harp Pedagogy degree. That is not to say you cannot obtain a Music Ed degree. Usually someone who plays a traditional instrument (whoa! not that the harp isn’t, but “traditional” here is meaning violin, cello, flute, trumpet, tbone, etc) will be the ones seeking a Music Ed degree. These people usually have a general knowledge of the more common instruments. You could definetely do it, but you’d have your work cut out for you. Best of luck.

Participant
    brook-boddie on #167207

Emily, I may be wrong, but I seem to remember reading an article recently either in The Harp Column magazine or the American Harp Society Journal that mentions that there is now a college/university that offers a degree in lever harp.

Participant
    Evangeline Williams on #167208

I would say there is a decent chance.

Participant
    unknown-user on #167209

From folkharp.com, on the “choosing a harp” page.

“College and University programs are generally geared toward pedal harp; but hark! There is a program for a major in lever harp at the U of Oregon headed by Laura Zaerr, professor of harp.”

Maybe you could try that?

Participant
    unknown-user on #167210

Perhaps you could if you were only studying medieval and renaissance music. Some school have early music programs, like St. Scholastica in Duluth, Minnesota.

Spectator
    Calista Anne Koch on #167211

I know that you posted this a while ago, but I wanted to give you my 2 cents worth;

Participant
    unknown-user on #167212

Hi,

Just stumbled across this site – I see I’m a year late in posting!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.