harpcolumn

Any experience with Camac DHC Blue Light and L&H Silhouette electric harps?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Any experience with Camac DHC Blue Light and L&H Silhouette electric harps?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

I’m going to by an electric lever harp, and two of the models available seem interesting, the new Camac DHC Blue Light and L&H Silhouette. I would need a harp suitable for moving on stage and with possibility to add distortion pedals etc.

I tried to find some audio examples from the internet, but couldn’t find any other exept Deborah playing the Electroharp by Camac. There are none of these instruments available in Finland so I can’t really compare and try them myself.

If anyone can share his/hers experiences on either of the two instruments, the sound of course, movability and other things and if one or the other is recommendable, or add some links to audio samples of these harps I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

tony-morosco
    Participant

Never tried a Silhouette, but I have a camac electro harp (the kind Deborah used before the Blue light model was built). Although I haven’t played it I have actually held Deborah’s at a concert once, and have heard it of course at the concert.

From that I can say the following. The DHC Blue Light sounds almost exactly like the Camac electroharp, so if you can’t find any recordings of the Blue Light you can instead listen to a recording of a Camac Electroharp and you can get a very good idea of how it sounds.

Second, it is MUCH lighter. If you want something that gives maximum mobility I can’t imagine any other harp is any better in that regard. Since I have an electroharp I can compare and it is significantly lighter. Also, even though I knew it would be lighter than mine, I was unprepared when I picked it up how light it was.

Certainly it isn’t like a feather, but compared to the older wood model electroharp it is significant.

Maybe Athy will show up and comment. He owns all three, a Silhouette, a Camac Baby Blue electroharp, and a DHC Blue Light, and so can give a real comparison. He uses all three to perform so he really would know. I will send him a message and see if he can stop in or give me any info to pass on.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hello Dears,

I read the messages… and… If you want I can give you my point of view for this electric harps…

For me the best the the Blue Light, I played a Silhouette from Lyon&Healy, is a good harp but is more heavy and the sound is more “classical” is not brillant and celtic like the Camac Electric Baby Blue or other from the “electric family” harps of Camac. And I played a Baby Blue also in Brasil… and is good but the Baby Blue is heavy… MY FAVOURITE IS THE BLUE LIGHT! 😉

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Tony Morosco,

thanks so much for your answer, it was helpful and I found some recordings in the internet, including Athy´s. I’ll be visiting Paris soon to try the new Camac…

Salla

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Athy,

thanks for the information and for sharing your experiences. I will probably get the new camac and will visit Paris soon to try it first.

I also visited your site and listened the music you played with Camac. It does sound very good. You have a cute little animal too!

You can hear some of my music and videos at http://www.myspace.com/sallahakkola

Besos,

Salla

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies