harpcolumn

Advise Needed on Harp Purchase

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists Advise Needed on Harp Purchase

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

My 16 year old daughter currently plays piano and flute. Her main instument is the piano but she would very much like to have a small harp to learn to play. She is looking at a Heather Harp from grandeleganceharps.com.

http://www.grandeleganceharps.com/catalog/item/6776162/6672515.htm

I know nothing about harps and very little about music in general. I am very much in need of guidance. Thank you for whatever advice you can give.

WP Ruggles

barbara-brundage
    Participant

It’s made in Pakistan. See this thread for a current discussion about those harps:

http://www.harpcolumn.com/forum/message-view?message%5fid=239101

unknown-user
    Participant

Hello Barbara,

Thank you for the information. We are reading through the discussion you referrenced. It’s quite a long one. I am also wondering if you have any personal recommendation or is that something you would not be knowledgeable about?

Thank you.

WP Ruggles

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Well, personally I would not recommend those, not now. It used to be that there were no other inexpensive choices, but that has changed. In descending order of cost, depending on your budget I would recommend a Dusty Strings Ravenna, something from the Harpsicle tribe, one of the music makers kit harps.

But my real recommendation would be to find a teacher instead. Many teachers have harps they rent quite inexpensively to students and this will give her a chance to find out how much she likes it while playing on a decent instrument without a huge outlay up front.

The Pakistani harps are very cute and I do recommend them, often, to people who just want a harp for a decor object.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.