harpcolumn

Advice on viewing a questionable used harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Advice on viewing a questionable used harp

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    erinlawrence15
    Participant

I have been looking at used petite pedal harps by Lyon & Healy, Salvi and Camac. I’ve had an opportunity to view and play 2 so far, so I am still watching websites and being patient.

Another harp appeared recently, and I’m interested to go see it but I haven’t reached out to the owner yet. It‘s been in a smoke free home, and only one owner, late 1990’s. From the pictures the wood looks good, I don’t see scratches or cracks.

But, there are several strings missing, maybe 6, and no picture of a dust cover. I am wondering if this is from a family-run estate sale or something like that.

I have a list of things to look and listen for, and I would have it checked out by a professional if I were going to take the plunge. But the broken strings makes me suspect that it hasn’t been played for a while. (I play the lever harp, so I know how to change strings.) Is this a red flag? What would you all ask before you drive out to see and hear it? (2 hour drive.) Will I even be able to tune it to have a good impression of the sound?

I feel like I may have an opportunity to get a good price on a pedal harp, but is this a bad idea?

Tacye
    Participant

I would ask when it was last played and where it has been sitting. When you tune it the chances are that more strings will break – the owners need to accept this is what happens with old strings and not your fault. You won’t be able to hear it at its best with old strings – do take your own tuning key as it would be a pain to discover they have misplaced theirs.

I would say it is a bit like buying a car that has been sitting in a garage – you can’t take it for a proper test drive, it will definitely need a full service, but may have less wear than something that has been in use throughout.

paul-knoke
    Participant

If you go to look at it, move each of the pedals through its full range of motion – flat to natural to sharp and back again – to make sure they’re all working properly. I’ve encountered more than one neglected harp on which the action had seized up.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by paul-knoke.
    Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I would contact the harp tech you would use to check the harp and ask about making a virtual appointment to do a first look at the harp. You could FaceTime with the tech and then decide if you want to pursue this further. Be sure to take a tripod for your phone so you can be hands free. Otherwise, ask the tech what photos and or video he/she would need.

The seller should know a replacement set of strings and regulation is going to cost at least $1,000. That may help with the pricing. I looked at a harp that had been ignored like the one you describe and the chance of serious damage to the soundboard was about 10 percent.

I would certainly take a serious look at the harp. Heck, I would go just out of curiosity.

billooms
    Participant

David D’Arville of Virginia Harp Center has an excellent YouTube video that shows some things to look for.

Search for “How to buy a used pedal harp”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies