Advice for first harp?/Ravenna 26 recording?

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    unknown-user on #163624

Hi all,

My 21st birthday just passed, and I was really hoping for a harp. I ended up not getting one, but I have been putting money aside for a while and have saved about $550 so far ($50 more every 2 weeks). I have been looking at different lever harps for months now, and have compiled a list of potential purchases. There is, of course, the Ravenna 26. I have read several different comments on it in these forums, and they all seem to be good enough. However, there are no sound samples available online, and I don’t live near any dealers that carry it (central NJ). Does anyone out there have one who could share a brief sample? I would really appreciate it! 🙂

Also, there is the Blevins Melody 26. I have listened to just about every Blevins harp, and, to me, the Melody sounds the most beautiful. There is a used one for sale on their website, for $730, which I can hopefully afford soon enough, if no one else buys it first.

I’ve also looked into Stoney End harps, like the Eve – though I would prefer the Anne, but I don’t think I’ll be going that route. Likewise with the County Kerry 24. It’s beautiful to look at, but the sample I heard didn’t sell me on it.

My ambition, by learning how to play the harp, is to satisfy a soul urge and also to hopefully become a “harp therapist”. I, like so many others, have wanted to play the harp from a very young age. I remember when I first learned what a harp was – I had a collection of rubber stamps with faeries and other fantastical things, one of which was a kinnor-style harp. Then, a couple of months ago, I had a dream where a certain angel gave me my own harp, and I played and played…

Anyway, I looked through the list of therapy harps on the IHTP page, but all of those are out of my range, besides the Harpsicle, which I don’t plan on buying.

I have also been scouring eBay on a regular basis to maybe come across a lucky find, but to no avail. I guess I’m just hoping for some advice on which of these would be best, or if you have a completely different suggestion that’s great as well! Or if you know where I could find a good deal on maybe a used harp… really, any and all advice is very welcome!

Thank you all in advance!

– Jen

Participant
    Evangeline Williams on #163625

Central NJ?

D Wenzl on #163626

I have a Dusty Strings Allegro….which I love, great sound.

Participant
    unknown-user on #163627

Thank you for your feedback! I was able to order a Ravenna yesterday. It will be coming from the Folk Traditions Store in Savannah, GA – they are closing and having a big sale. Check out their website here: http://www.folktraditionsstore.com

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #163628

I don’t think you’ll regret the Ravenna purchase at all.

Participant
    unknown-user on #163629

Oh NO! Jennifer, do you know why they’re closing? I get there about twice a year; it’s a fabulous shop; the only place I can look at the harps and music.

Keymaster
    HBrock25 on #163630

I went to the Dusty Strings on friday and had a first hand opportunity comparing Ravenna and Allegro, and I must say I was pretty surprised at how much better the Allegro sounded.

Participant
    unknown-user on #163631

you can view all of Dusty Strings harps and music on http://www.youtube.com
    Simply type in the one you want to hear. 🙂

Participant
    unknown-user on #163632

click here to here the ravenna…..

http://0035926.netsolhost.com/videos/Ravenna26.html

Participant
    unknown-user on #163633

listen to ravenna here…

http://0035926.netsolhost.com/videos/Ravenna26.html

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #163634

It’s all a matter of what you prefer, I suppose.

Participant
    unknown-user on #163635

I just went to the Folk Traditions Store website and it seems that as of Jan. 2008, they are still “closing” their store.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.