harpcolumn

Advice for a new player

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums How To Play Advice for a new player

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    danielle-matl
    Participant

Hey, I am really new to playing harp. I just started renting and could use a little advice. If I can’t find a teacher what would be the best way to start teaching myself? Are there any books or videos you would recommend? I have a lap harp, and am interested in celtic music. Anything would help. Thanks!

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Check out Josh Layne’s Harp Tuesday on youtube or his website: http://www.joshlayne.com

Sherj DeSantis
    Participant

Try to find a teacher you like for SKYPE lessons, so you have help with your technique. It’s not a perfect solution, but it might work for you. Good luck. Sherj

susan-rutherford
    Participant

I’ve been taking lessons via skype with Susan Zevenbergen for several years now (http://www.myharpsdelight.com/). It’s been great! One of the best aspects is continuing with the same teacher even after I moved from Alaska to Canada, and she moved from San Diego to Denver. Josh Layne’s videos are wonderful, and he also offers lessons on skype. I really encourage you to find a teacher – proper technique is so important to learn at the outset. I tried to teach myself initially, but quickly realized I could develop some very bad habits without a teacher!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Danielle,

I actually started with Sylvia Wood’s video and book. Teach Yourself To Play The Folk Harp. I purchased it on Amazon.com. I entered a link for you. It’s pretty good. To me, it was like having a real teacher. Because she does remind you of habits, that may develop when practicing. I used this book until I eventually found a teacher. When my teacher asked me to play at my first lesson, she said I had done well. The book gave me some good basics.

Link to Teach Yourself To Play The Folk Harp by Sylvia Woods.
    http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Yourself-Play-Anniversary-Edition/dp/0936661429/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1360700254&sr=8-3&keywords=Learn+how+to+play+the+harp

danielle-matl
    Participant

Thanks! I’m looking into the books and videos. For now I have some sheet music to work from. One thing I am worried about is developing bad habits. Everyting I have read said to be careful, but I haven’t found anything that said what those bad habits are. What should I be watching out for? A list would be great!

lyn-boundy
    Participant

I don’t pretend to be an expert here. I’m new to the site and have only been learning to play for a year (I did have a few attempts at teaching myself before that but they weren’t terribly successful and I only count my learning from the first proper lesson.

Re those ‘bad habits’ – a few things I can think of would include incorrect hand position and perhaps using the ‘wrong’ fingering. I’m sure other more experienced players will have others to add.

Re finding a tutor, I do believe that some people learn just fine on their own (I’m not one of them) and others need the discipline of a regular lesson and another person to pull them up on their mistakes. If you do decide you need a tutor and can’t find one advertised in the obvious places (yellow pages, small ads, ads in local music shops etc) you could always try contacting your nearest college or university that has a music department to see if anyone there can recoimmend somebody. The important thing, though, is to keep putting the word around and, if necessary, leave contact details with everyone you speak to just in case they hear of someone. I tried all these things and, in my case, I wasn’t successful but I eventually heard what sounded like harp music while I was shopping, followed the sound and came upon my wonderful; teacher while she was busking; it was one of the luckiest days of my life! So keep your search at the front of your mind and don’t be afraid to approach anyone who might be able to help.

I have also been learning with the Sylvia Woods book and I’d recommend it very highly indeed. It is easy to follow, sets you right on all those bad habits and progresses you fairly gently through everything you need to know. If that one works out for you, then you will almost certainly want to try some of her other books eventually. She has music for almost every possible occasion and style and often writes a simple version of a song, together with a harder one so that you can progress with a favourite tune as your skill grows. Another book I’ve found very useful is The Harper’s Manual by Laurie Riley (but I’m one of those people who just can’t resist buying books about their hobby, you can manage just fine with the Sylvia Woods one for a long time).

My apologies for an over-long message – I’ve been starved of people to ‘talk harps’ with and am so glad to have found this site!

Edit – Just wanted to add that The Harpers’ Manual is more about tips and general information than actual music to play.

carlos-macieira–2
    Participant

Good morning, I am a beginner and I will purchase a pedal harp. Which model/manufacturer do you recommend?

lyn-boundy
    Participant

Hi Carlos. As I said above, I’m quite a beginner myself and I’m sure the more experienced players here can give you a better answer than I can. However, you’ve waited a long time with no reply so here’s my opinion fwiw. (bearing in mind also that I only play a lever harp). The big manufacturers seem to get a good rap here – L&H, Clive Morley, Pilgrim etc, but I would think the most important point is to get the harp that suits you and that will be quite a personal thing. Of course, if there is a harp-playing friend who can advise or go with you that is wonderful but if that isn’t the case I (in your position) would be looking for an instrument that appears to be well made, feels good to play and has a tone you love. If you are not yet enough of a player to make that judgement, you can at least get an idea of the voice by having the harp demonstrated for you. While appearance is always important, don’t be fooled into thinking that the more elaborate the harp, the better it will be. If you have two or more to choose from, try to judge their different voices with your eyes closed so as not to be swayed.

I’m afraid this is all rather vague but I do hope that others will now join in and give you more detailed help. Good luck with the hunt – definitely one of the most fun things you will ever do.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Danielle, I was looking to respond to the “what are the bad habits”. This maybe a little late, but what Sylvia mentioned in her teaching video are things like your posture, no slouching; not placing your feet higher than the base of the harp.

Feet should be planted on the floor, no picking the strings when playing, (referring to when fingers are placed, there should be a pluck, then fingers close in the hand)

Remembering to have elbows comfortably out, instead of having it close to your body, and to keep thumps up…… Things like that. I found Sylvia’s video pretty helpful. Good luck with everything, from one beginner to another.

jeffrey-mcfadden
    Participant

Carlos, if you’re still looking I suggest you start a fresh thread with your question. It is likely that more people will notice it there and reply.
    Jeff

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.