harpcolumn

A little help…

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists A little help…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Emma Preuss

Hi everyone.

I am just about to take up playing the harp and have so far had one lesson. My teacher said I needed to get hold of a harp but I’m a little stumped. I don’t have a great deal of money so I’ve been keeping an eye out for something at a reasonable price. At first I was tempted by the EMS harps but I’ve heard so much negative feedback that I’ve decided that it’s not worth it. If I’m going to learn then I’ll need something to practice on but I’m scared of splashing out on an expensive harp in case it doesn’t work out.

I’m English so I can’t use some of the sources that have been suggested on some of the other threads. Any advice on where I should look?

Geri McQuillen
    Participant

Hello Emma,

Clive Morley in the UK has a harp rental program.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Does Dusty Strings market in England at all?

Tacye
    Participant

What sort of harp are you looking to get and what specifications does
    your teacher want?

Emma Preuss

I think I might go for Clive Morely Harps. They do the dusty strings range, they have good rent rates and aren’t too far away from me so I can travel over there and have a look as well as a bit of a go.

Thanks guys

Emma Preuss

Sorry double post..Tayce’s message came through after I’d responded

I’m in WIltshire so Clive Morely is not too far away from me. I think I’ll head on over so I can try a few out maybe tomorrow or on Monday. My plan is to Rent short-term to see how I get on with playing the harp then look into buying one if it goes well. I’m keeping an eye out for second hand because I can’t really afford a new one. I did see the pink harp.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I have to say that layers of paint actually CAN have an influence on the sound.

Emma Preuss

Well the pink one has been sold anyway. I’m now hiring one that’s the same though (although in a rather nicer mahogany). Now to get learning!

Thanks for the help.

renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

The Hempson 34 is a very good harp to begin with. I have one (also mahogany, but with decorations on the soundboard) and I love mine.
    One thing though, that if you decide to buy it later on, I would replace the strings in the 3rd and 4th octaves with Bow Brand gut instead of nylon and tape wound, and Bow Brand professional bass wire for the 5th and 6th. I did so just recently, and the sound quality has improved drastically. It has a much fuller, more resonant voice now. Just a suggestion.
    I hope you enjoy learning the harp!

Emma Preuss

Mine also has the decorated soundboard. It’s gorgeous isn’t it?

Thanks for the advice on the strnings

renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

No problem 🙂 Yes, the decorations are beautiful! I hope you’ll enjoy learning to play.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Topics