column

2nd harp parts

Home Forums Coffee Break 2nd harp parts

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sylvia
    Participant

Does anyone have a list of 2nd harp parts for orchestra, please?
    Thank you.

Sylvia
    Participant

I know pretty much which Debussy, Ravel, and R. Strauss have 2nds….and the Bernstein Ch. Psalms,. I can’t think of any others at the moment, but I suppose there are some.

Tacye
    Participant

There are loads – but I have never seen them listed. Wagner’s Ring Cycle (+ 3rd-6th or even 7th!), Holst’s Planets, Elgar’s Gerontius, Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique, Strauss operas… The imslp website is often good for checking up on individual suspects.

Sylvia
    Participant

Thank you. The operas don’t count, in this case. I forgot about the Berlioz. I’m just looking at ones that might come up. I love IMSLP, but it has SO MANY works it would take forever to look at all of them!

Tacye
    Participant

How could I forget Pelleas und Melisande by Schoenberg – the only orchestral piece I am adamant I will refuse to play again if asked. I hope it doesn’t come up for whatever you are asking about!

Sylvia
    Participant

Ugh. It sounds horrible…Schoenberg ….you know it has to be a dog. That’s probably why you forgot it…too painful to think about. Thanks for the input. I don’t think it would be a likely choice for this orchestra.

Alison
    Participant

Holywell Music have a really good catalogue which can be downloaded as a pdf file, and there is a section around page 62 listing orchestral parts – it’s a ‘godsend’ for you, a few missing but very good (I’ll tell the compiler tomorrow how much we appreciate it). I can also think of Bartock’s Conc for Orch, Mahler 2,3+6, Elgar I,II, in the South, Don Juan (who’s), Strauss (Rosenkav, Tod, Alpine, Heldenleben, Wiegenlied), Janacek (Taras Bulba, ) Prokofiev +Tchai (ballets), some Shostakovitch 4, 5 or 10, Chabrier’s Espana , Bernstein’s Candide, Respighi’s Pines or Fountains of Rome. Ravel’s Mother Goose,
    Certainly prep 2nd harp’s tricky bit in the planets,(prob Venus), Bernstein’s Chichester Psalm bottom of page 3 I think, where there is a tricky bit of pedalling under the soprano.. What about Vaughan William’s Sea Symphony quite a lot in 2nd and 5 Variants/Dives Lazurus (it says doubled).. ?? I also thought of Bax (Tintagel). How best to collaborate on a master list, a tricky question……… without going through the parts to hand, not sure I like the sound of auditioning any of these parts at sight, not very practical nor realistic. Kinda useful though, guess this will be like counting sheep…

Sylvia
    Participant

Yes, you are right! The Holywell catalog is a great listing to find 2nds. Thank you so much.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

David Daniels’ book on orchestral music is a terrific resource for anyone who is an active orchestral performer, and although it is a little expensive it’s also a gold mine of information and a great resource for questions about historical instrumentation. Also a great holiday gift! Harp parts are listed specifically by number and also by unison doubling.

Sylvia
    Participant

I hadn’t thought about looking at the LH catalog until I saw the Holywell. Duh. That is an obvious place to look because it shows what pieces have 2nd harp.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.