harpcolumn

26 strings or less as an only harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists 26 strings or less as an only harp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    deb-l
    Participant

can anyone tell me if they are content with 26 strings or less as an only harp?

harpglo-jean
    Participant

Well, personally, I wouldn’t be content if that was my only harp…I own a Ravenna 26, and I love the harp, it’s tone, portability and durability, but like I’ve stated before, I do have to rearrange a few of my tunes.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

No. Anything from 33 strings on up, assuming it goes down to the C two octaves below middle C, which most of them do.

alice-freeman
    Spectator

No, not as my only harp. I played a Ravenna 26 when I was in Alaska for a week, and there just were not enough low strings – I was constantly rearranging standard musical arrangements. I really wanted another octave down there.

I would not go with less than 34 strings.

— Alice in windy Wyoming.

I’m not trying to be rude but I don’t think you are going to be completely happy with any one harp no matter the number of strings.

deb-l
    Participant

curious Jennifer, why do you think I would not be completely happy with any one harp?

Rachel
    Participant

Contentment also has to do with what you can afford.

deb-l
    Participant

ah.. thank you Rachel.

Karen Johns
    Participant

I’ll take a stab at this one. I think (and I’m not Jennifer, so I’m guessing here) that you are on the quest for “the perfect harp” from all your various recent postings about different harps, and your angst over having to choose one. I think you may be a “multi-harp” person (like me,I have three). This is not a bad thing in and of itself, but it may cause you a lot of stress bouncing from one harp to another, and you are bound to have buyer’s regret- it is already apparent you have renter’s regret. Every harp has it’s own unique voice, and some harps sound better playing certain styles of music than others. I really don’t believe for a second that there is a “perfect harp”, and more than you or I are perfect. Each harp, no matter how great it sounds, will have a flaw somewhere. Maybe what you should do is let yourself get used to one harp for awhile instead of bouncing from one to another. The Egan might still be your best choice- just give it a chance. :-)

Karen

deb-l
    Participant

Karen, I love the voice and everything about the Egan.

deb-l
    Participant

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Deb,
    Just curious – won’t the parrots pose peculiar problems regardless of which harp you purchase (forgive the silly alliteration!)?

deb-l
    Participant

Michael, parrots pose problems harp or no harp!

Karen,

You said it perfectly. Thanks!

deb-l
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies