harpcolumn

Reply To: How did you learn to play/read

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums How To Play How did you learn to play/read Reply To: How did you learn to play/read

Sylvia
Participant

Depends on what your harp goals are. I think music for gigs should be memorized because music stands detract from the picture. My rep is all memorized, and I play a free left hand.

When I play opera or orchestra parts, then I have to play what’s really there, and I have to work on it quite a while…I get my parts way ahead of time….once I get the notes down, I practice with the recording. No sight reading here!

Everyone learns differently, and I think harp players are reeeally different from each other. I think your memory ability will serve you well. BTW, I started harp in college, and I could read only the treble clef when I started.

When I got out on my own, I found that written-out music was almost impossible for me to learn, so I just write down the melody (with chord symbols) in a comfortable key, The left hand takes care of itself…and sounds much fuller than in written arrangements.

Recent Replies