harpcolumn

Reply To: When competitions aren’t fair. . .

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Conferences, Camps, and Competitions When competitions aren’t fair. . . Reply To: When competitions aren’t fair. . .

Deette Bunn
Participant

I had a similar thing happen to me in college. I had the high score out of 100 from 3 of the judges, and a big, fat ZERO from the fourth judge. It was the only way to make sure his student placed in the top 3. He didn’t even give me a point for showing up. I learned a lot of things from that experience that I have carried with me over the years.
My daughter, also a harpist, ran into the same thing you did in a high school competition. The judges were absolutely clueless.
I now teach at the college level, and I do my best to educate, educate, educate other instrumental and vocal professors, conductors, and composers about the harp. Realize that life isn’t fair and then keep your chin up, keep working hard, and you’ll get the recognition you deserve.

Recent Replies