unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Harp learning with Straight versus Extended soundboard #146964
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi – I agree with Catherine – go ahead and get something that you can plan on keeping –

    John

    in reply to: Necessity of anchors #147034
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Carl,
    I’ve never patched a string myself, but the concept intrigues me. Could you explain exactly how it’s done? Also, did you include this in your book? I can always look there too.

    ~Sam

    in reply to: Necessity of anchors #147030
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks Tony. That’s the knot that I currently use. I double the knot on the very top strings, and that really helps keep the anchor there. I could have sworn that I tried what you’re describing, but I’ll give it another shot when I replace all my strings next.

    ~Sam

    in reply to: Necessity of anchors #147026
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I think that diagram could have been even clearer, but it’s one of the better ones. That is not the knot that I use, anyway. I’ve never had a problem actually figuring out the knot – its just that with the thick strings the knots aren’t tight enough (before the string is brought to tension) to hold the anchor except by some miraculous feat of balancing.

    I also cut up the lower gut strings to use as anchors – that’s what all the prepackaged anchors seem to be anyway.

    Perhaps I wasn’t so clear in my first post. I am a very experienced string changer. The knot poses no difficulty and neither does the winding at the top. I was merely asking about whether or not we need to use anchors on the lower guts, seeing as it’s nearly impossible to get the anchor to stay before winding the string.

    ~Sam

    in reply to: Necessity of anchors #147022
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Yes, the issue was not being able to get the anchor to stay for those thick strings – so I wondered if they were necessary since getting them to stay is so frustrating.

    Glad to know that they’re not necessary on the thicker gut strings – I usually just don’t put them in if I can’t get them to stay, even with considerable effort. That only happens with the lower guts, and I’ve never had one pull up, so I figured it must be okay.

    Tony, do you think you could give that description another shot?

    Also, splines? I always thought the technical term was anchor.

    ~Sam

    in reply to: Necessity of anchors #147018
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I read about this on some harp website and they said instead of using an anchor made of another harp string, use a Q-tip! Take a cotton Q-tip and cut of the fuzzy ends, the stiff cotton stick in the middle is PERFECT as an anchor! It’s so much easier to use, I just keep a bag of them with my harp strings. Just make sure you cut it down small enough, or else they bend a little. I’ve never had one slip out, I absolutely love it!

    — Natalie

    in reply to: Loading options for a harp #70779
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I purchased a cover and dolly for my harp, and it was worth it!!!! I highly advise getting a cover if you can find one for your harp model. Mine turned out to be water proof and padded so it’s perfect for traveling. The dolly was amazing too, I love it very much.

    Also do you have a pedal harp or lever? Mine is a lyon and healy pedal, so I got alyon and healy case and I got the American Harp Cart. I really LOVE both of these things!

    I hope that helps, God bless!

    — Natalie

    P.S. I’ve never transported two harps together, so I’m not sure about moving them stacked on top of each other. I would think it would be okay if you put a very thick blanket or some tough padding between the two of them and made sure they were really secure and wouldn’t slip around. But I have no idea how safe it would be!

    in reply to: Frustrating peers #165947
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Oh thank you, I might try this! I can’t help but think I’ve tried to explain this to him before but I like the way you phrased it politely. I don’t think he honestly means to irritate me, he just does. I’ll try and talk it out with him, but he’s not very good at listening…. I shouldn’t bully him though, he means well.

    in reply to: Nail polish #102955
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Yes but I ran out and I’ve had a crazy week and haven’t been able to get to a store yet. But yes, I was definitely going to switch to that once I could. I don’t understand why girls do this for fun, I may be the only girl who doesn’t like it but I still think it’s pointless!

    — Natalie

    in reply to: Nail polish #102953
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Oh I know, I hate painting my nails because of the extremely unnatural ingredients. But my nails would rip if they got wet, so washing dishes and taking a shower became problems. The nail polish forms a “shield” and keeps them from ripping when they get wet. I can’t wait for them to get a little stronger and then I can take all this polish off!

    I’ve heard about that, I imagine nails must sound better than a pick. Classical guitar is beautiful!

    — Natalie

    in reply to: Frustrating peers #165945
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Oh I’m glad I’m not the only one, thanks for adding this! It’s just weird, it stays much closer to pitch if I tune it at home and touch it up at the venue. Thanks again! 🙂

    — Natalie

    in reply to: Frustrating peers #165944
    unknown-user
    Participant

    He’s actually a really great guy, we’re just opposite in personality. So he drives me crazy by just being himself. ;P I did find it rude that he wouldn’t let it go, especially since he fixes cars and doesn’t even play an instrument. But he did nothing wrong, and I just came here to vent!

    in reply to: Frustrating peers #165939
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I’ve found that my harp holds tune better if I tune it roughly at home, let it adjust after moving it, and then tune it again. When I tried tuning it at the location I struggled getting it ready in time because all the strings had seriously stretched. It sounds silly but maybe my harp is as crazy as me. ;P

    in reply to: Nail polish #102951
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Oh I used to be a nail-biter. I’ve stopped for quite awhile now, but my nails were shorter than my fingertips. This meant if they grew just a tiny bit they’d catch on the strings. I’m trying to grow them to my fingertips and get them to re-attach to the nail bed. It’s working well except for the colorful distraction, it’s actually helping me a great deal with finger positioning though. Now if my finger is slightly off my nail will catch the string, and in just a few days I’m starting to finally adjust to proper pedal harp arm and hands position. Hopefully in a few week I can remove the polish and file my nails back into place.

    in reply to: Harp dimension #70820
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Yes I do have the same problem!

    My teacher has an old Salvi Daphne harp, it’s concert grand 47 strings. Mine is a Lyon and Healy 85 Petite, 40 strings. Her pedals can’t be properly regulated because it’s so old, and I struggle pushing them up and down. The strings are old too and have a different “feel” from mine. I almost always play better at home than at her harp!

    I suppose the main problem is just playing her harp once a week and mine all the rest, I’m very much used to mine.

    Oh and my arm position changes because her harp is MUCH heavier than mine, and weighs down my right shoulder therefore making it harder to keep my arms at the “proper” height. But arm positioning is one of my weaknesses and I shouldn’t blame her harp, I’m bad at home too. 😉

    God bless!

    — Natalie

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 5,570 total)