tony-morosco

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 991 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Harp lessons from a violin teacher? #84952
    tony-morosco
    Participant

    Well, you can simply ask what technique she teaches, which is a legitimate question, and from there use that as a springboard to ask other questions; “Oh, you teach the French method? Who did you study with?”

    That way it comes off more as inquisitiveness rather than a third degree.

    in reply to: Harp lessons from a violin teacher? #85462
    tony-morosco
    Participant

    Well, you can simply ask what technique she teaches, which is a legitimate question, and from there use that as a springboard to ask other questions; “Oh, you teach the French method? Who did you study with?”

    That way it comes off more as inquisitiveness rather than a third degree.

    in reply to: Harp for Today #84229
    tony-morosco
    Participant

    I have Louise Trotters First STeps in Harp Improvisation, which is very good. I also like Deborah Henson-Conanats Introduction to Importation, which also includes a CD of Jazz Vamps to practice with.

    In addition I am also very fond of Verlene Schermer’s books. Cool Chords and Groovy Rhythms which goes into the user of more Jazz type chords for arranging for lever harp, but is also very useful for any style of music.

    Her book, The Sing-Along Harper is a book on playing harp as accompaniment for singing, but can be used to learn to arrange the harp as accompaniment to other instruments. It includes a library of accompaniment patterns.

    in reply to: Harp for Today #84942
    tony-morosco
    Participant

    I have Louise Trotters First STeps in Harp Improvisation, which is very good. I also like Deborah Henson-Conanats Introduction to Importation, which also includes a CD of Jazz Vamps to practice with.

    In addition I am also very fond of Verlene Schermer’s books. Cool Chords and Groovy Rhythms which goes into the user of more Jazz type chords for arranging for lever harp, but is also very useful for any style of music.

    Her book, The Sing-Along Harper is a book on playing harp as accompaniment for singing, but can be used to learn to arrange the harp as accompaniment to other instruments. It includes a library of accompaniment patterns.

    in reply to: Harp for Today #85452
    tony-morosco
    Participant

    I have Louise Trotters First STeps in Harp Improvisation, which is very good. I also like Deborah Henson-Conanats Introduction to Importation, which also includes a CD of Jazz Vamps to practice with.

    In addition I am also very fond of Verlene Schermer’s books. Cool Chords and Groovy Rhythms which goes into the user of more Jazz type chords for arranging for lever harp, but is also very useful for any style of music.

    Her book, The Sing-Along Harper is a book on playing harp as accompaniment for singing, but can be used to learn to arrange the harp as accompaniment to other instruments. It includes a library of accompaniment patterns.

    in reply to: lever harp strings? #74877
    tony-morosco
    Participant

    I don’t believe so. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but the Burgundy strings are only Pedal Harp strings. The lever harps that can use them are the ones that use pedal harp strings, like the L&H Ogden.

    If I remember correctly the Livia uses lever harp strings and I do not believe that the burgundy strings are made in lever harp gauge.

    in reply to: Harp for Today #84226
    tony-morosco
    Participant

    The Complete Idiots Guide to Arranging and Orchestration.

    Actually all of the music books in the Complete Idiots Guide series are very good. Music theory, Solos and Improvisation, song writing… All good starter material on the various subjects.

    in reply to: Harp for Today #84939
    tony-morosco
    Participant

    The Complete Idiots Guide to Arranging and Orchestration.

    Actually all of the music books in the Complete Idiots Guide series are very good. Music theory, Solos and Improvisation, song writing… All good starter material on the various subjects.

    in reply to: Harp for Today #85449
    tony-morosco
    Participant

    The Complete Idiots Guide to Arranging and Orchestration.

    Actually all of the music books in the Complete Idiots Guide series are very good. Music theory, Solos and Improvisation, song writing… All good starter material on the various subjects.

    in reply to: Beginning the harp as an adult #159569
    tony-morosco
    Participant

    A Mac running Logic Studio. Not cheap, but not outrageously expensive, and it is actually used by professionals. I know of several professional groups who recorded albums at home on a Mac with Logic.

    There are other alternatives, some that may be cheaper, but for home recording this is the best in my opinion.

    in reply to: Composing harp music #159624
    tony-morosco
    Participant

    I use Finale. It isn’t easy to use and it isn’t cheap, but it is extremely flexible, has a ton of useful features that, once you do learn them, save you lots of time, and it comes in different version depending on your budget.

    Sibelius looks good too. I played around with it, but I didn’t want to have to relearn everything. I don’t know if one is actually easier to learn than the other, but it seems that once you learn one most people stick with it and don’t bother trying to learn the other.

    in reply to: We can help a fellow harpist win an award!!! #150914
    tony-morosco
    Participant

    Done. I hope he wins.

    in reply to: CD Mechanical Licensing and Royalties #150981
    tony-morosco
    Participant

    That is tricky. You may need more than a mechanical license.

    The mechanical license is for limited production. I forget the actual number, but you are limited to something like 1000 copies.

    I don’t know if you can limit the number of downloads on iTunes.

    A mechanical license doesn’t pay a royalty per item sold. It pays a flat fee to allow you to sell up to a certain number of recordings.

    Find out what company handles the royalties for the pieces, probably the Harry Fox agency, and ask them about it. Once you get into actual royalties rather than a mechanical license it gets much more complicated.

    in reply to: Chicago Petite 40 #159580
    tony-morosco
    Participant

    Yes, I tried a Chicago P and other than the column it felt and sounded almost exactly like my 85P. The column was the only part that visually looked different too. The rest was pretty much identical.

    Certainly, an Orchestral harpist needs 47 strings, and I think most people would do well to get a CG. But for some the smaller harp has some advantages and if it works for you then go for it. They are excellent harps.

    in reply to: changing stringing #151010
    tony-morosco
    Participant

    Jakez Francois over at Camac speaks English very well. The first time I ever emailed them about something I was a bit surprised to get an answer back directly from the head guy, but that’s how they roll over there. A great bunch of people.

    So don’t worry, language won’t be a barrier.

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 991 total)