Tacye

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 1,469 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Double String Debate #213413
    Tacye
    Participant

    I think we are agreeing here, Biagio, except on how much we value things like books of published music that does not need arranging.

    in reply to: Double String Debate #213389
    Tacye
    Participant

    I hope the L&H does continue its life!

    A negative to double strung is fewer resources – fewer other players, books, teachers and buyers if you ever decide to sell. My view is that there is a strength in going for the more common unless you definitely want the unusual instrument.

    in reply to: Au Matin by Tournier #212723
    Tacye
    Participant

    I don’t follow your point 4? The third and sixth notes are the same in that pattern.

    Thank you for sharing them!

    in reply to: Responding to kid's interest in the harp #212562
    Tacye
    Participant

    How little is she?

    in reply to: Pedal Order #212542
    Tacye
    Participant

    I don’t assume cdfgb was giving the order of the pedals, just which ones there were. One of the references mentions them as B(b)FCGD in the order of the circle of fifths.

    I suspect also that the first pedal harps were comparatively few in number and did not have the weight of custom and expectation that now would make it hard for a maker to change the order of pedals.

    in reply to: Help! Harp Music Needed for Upcoming Concert #212538
    Tacye
    Participant

    With the publishers permission, could you photocopy the score and cut out the harp part? Not ideal but I have played from parts made up that way.

    in reply to: Changing Strings #212517
    Tacye
    Participant

    Loosen the string off. The tuning pins are designed for that use.

    in reply to: Pedal Order #212420
    Tacye
    Participant

    Both Roslyn Rensch and Laure Barthel say the 5 pedals were C D F G and Bflat not A, no mention of order. On a quick look in my library I can’t find any descriptions of surviving five pedal harps, just Roslyn Rensch’s mention of one on the Copenhagen museum. The catalogue of harps in the Berlin museum has a four pedal harp with Eb F Bb and C pedals but they date it to 1830/40 and at first look I suspect it would be quite easy to swap the strings going to the pedals round.

    in reply to: Advice on composing for lever harp #212168
    Tacye
    Participant

    While the details of the Fay mechanism are his, the concept is not original to him. Egan made his Royal Portable harps a couple of centuries ago with seven switches/ditals on the column. Historical credit where it is due! He also made a few double action ones.

    http://www.irishharp.org/egan/egan.html

    in reply to: Rental Harp with No Harp Key? #211784
    Tacye
    Participant

    As Sylvia says, it could be a simple slip. My L&H also was shipped without a key and it followed later when I asked.

    in reply to: Trigger Finger problem with left hand #211693
    Tacye
    Participant

    I think it would also be interesting to consult a movement/body expert who did not have a knowledge of harp playing. They might suggest things which won’t work for the harp, but you should be able to find someone who knows a lot about hands.

    in reply to: Felt Up? #211510
    Tacye
    Participant

    Mine are smooth leather, scraps from a cobbler of the same thickness as the felt, over the rubber L&H have under their felts. I sewed them on well over a decade ago.

    in reply to: Felt Up? #211454
    Tacye
    Participant

    I have leather and like them. It broke the cycle where you get a harp regulated with new felts, then they compact, disturbing the regulation…

    When considering materials, I suggest you think about how you use you pedals. Do you bring them up gently or let them hit the top pads. Do you guide them down and across as two movements or push across the corner? Do you care most about robustness, friction or cushioning?

    in reply to: Pedal rod for Pilgrim 41 #210819
    Tacye
    Participant

    That is most unlike Pilgrim, I rather suspect rogue spam filters on the email. Can you give them a phone call?

    in reply to: Who pays? #210250
    Tacye
    Participant

    I wonder what would happen if you had two charges – your normal one (with fees raised) and a discount if all pieces are chosen from your list? People like discounts much more than surcharges.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 1,469 total)