Sylvain Blassel

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Substituting glisses for arpeggios in Trio Sonata? #148450

    Thanks Carl !

    in reply to: Substituting glisses for arpeggios in Trio Sonata? #148448

    For the first performance of Debussy Sonata (december 10, 1916), it was
    with Albert Manouvrier (fl), Darius Milhaud (alto), and Jeanne Dalliès
    (chrom. hpe).
    It was not really a concert, but the first audition, in the house of Jacques Durand (his editor).
    Debussy
    didn’t like a lot this Pleyel harp, but Jeanne Dalliès was not so bad
    for him, as we can read it on this letter for Jacques Durand, December
    14, 1916 : “Vous
    m’avez écrit des choses charmantes sur la Sonate pour Fl, Alt et Harpe. Seulement l’expérience n’est pas complète, à cause
    de la harpe chromatique qui n’a jamais le poids sonore de la harpe à pédale,
    mais qui trouve le moyen d’être lourde. Pourtant Mademoiselle en joue aussi
    bien que possible.” — sorry, I can not translate…

    Pierre Jamet
    was the first performer to play on pedal harp, just one year after, and
    he write to Jacques Durand (letter of Mars 22, 1917) that he prefers
    really Erard harp : “J’ai
    pu constater une fois de plus la supériorité de la harpe à pédales sur
    la harpe
    chromatique qui, si j’ose m’exprimer ainsi, n’enveloppe rien, et rend
    les
    délicieux son harmoniques, pareils à un tambour voilé”

    I’ve
    seen the manuscrit of the sonate, it’s not glissando, but arpeggios,
    exactly the same than in the edited

    in reply to: Here’s another great video of Sylvain Blassal #148365

    Infortunatly, I don’t know nothing about the harpists who was playing on this harp in the past. I’ve get it in Paris last summer, with the help of a very good friend to me.
    When I had this harp, it was absolutly not playable, it was just an instrument for decoration… The harpmaker Alexandre Budin had worked a lot on this harp (a lot of very good restaurations !), and we tested so many strings for try to find witch

    in reply to: Here’s another great video of Sylvain Blassal #148361

    (sorry for my “french” english !)

    in reply to: Here’s another great video of Sylvain Blassal #148360

    Hello everybody!

    Thanks for your messages.

    Well, you’re absolutly right, this harp is really smaller than a modern harp and it was not so confortable to play for me like this. Usually, I use a lower bench, of course… but I had a broken toe, and it was less hurting for my feet to sit in this way than to have to bent the feet for the pedals ! It’s very stupid, but I had to adapt myself depending my poor feet…

    But don’t warry, just for 5 minutes, it was ok…

    And the good point with this not excellent position, it’s that the arm muscles tire less quickly…

    For the 5th, it’s very easy : the sound was better, that all.
    The sound with 4th is too heavy, even pianissimo. And with the 5th, it’s much more precise and sweet.

    I don’t play very often with 5th, but sometimes it’s more relaxing rather than with the 4th.
    In this case, the distant betwen first and 5th is more small than with the 4th, and there is less stretching for the hand. With the 5th, all the other fingers can be very relaxed, and like this, I
    have less problems for have a regular tremolo.

    But it’s just a detail 😉

    The harp is very beautiful, I looooooove it !
    It’s an Erat harp, around 1830. The mecanism is quiet tired, a lot of bad vibrations, but I like very much this sound for lute and guitar musics ! For me it’s very precise and warm in the same time.
    And I’m not sure that we can see on the movie, but the wood of the soundboard is not perpendicular to the strings, as usually, but… in diagonal ! Around 45° !

    in reply to: Sylvain Blassel plays Goldberg Variations #148797

    ??

    Well, ok, Dad…
    Can I see the TV just 5 minutes, please ?

    in reply to: Sylvain Blassel plays Goldberg Variations #148795

    And, I’m sorry, but I never played on your harp…
    Do you know if an harpist have one in France, or Europa ?

    I’m very curious to listen how it is !

    in reply to: Sylvain Blassel plays Goldberg Variations #148794

    great !

    If you have some pictures of your harp, it could be nice !
    I don’t see what kind of model it can be. Perhaps a model on command ?

    I will be in paris in the same time than you.
    So, I hope you like whisky !

    in reply to: Sylvain Blassel plays Goldberg Variations #148792

    but with pleasure !

    What is the number of your erard ?
    With model ?

    When are you coming in Paris ?

    in reply to: Sylvain Blassel plays Goldberg Variations #148790

    Well, thank you for everything you‘ve written !

    I don’t know what should I write here, it’s my first message…

    I’ve a new record in construction, I will say you more about it later.
    I just hope that you will like it !

    Perhaps you will be on Vancouver this summer ?
    I will be very happy to meet you around a good glass.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)