steven-todd-miller

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 146 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Your response to: “WOW, That’s expensive!” #149873

    Whew– I just got back from running 5K and have calmed down considerably… I know that the vast majority of classical harpists, many of which are blog friends here at Harp Column, would never entertain this gig-entitlement mentality.

    in reply to: Your response to: “WOW, That’s expensive!” #149872

    “it can get very annoying when self taught beginner harpists market themselves at lower prices to steal jobs away from those who truly deserve them and are charging a fair amount.”

    I have to write this response quickly as I’ve stopped vomiting long enough to type. DESERVE THEM? DESERVE THEM? I’ve been reading this type of arrogance on this blog without responding long enough. Who died and made “classically trained” harpists “Gig Gods”? If someone plays an instrument and the client likes what they hear SO WHAT??????????????? If the harpist sucks then the truth will be made known- end of problem. But if they are making music that people like and are happy doing it more power to them! “Steal away jobs”????????? Do they sneak in the night and raid your contact list? Isn’t this still America and a free market economy? If you’re not getting the amount of gigs you “deserve” then maybe you’re not providing the music people want to hear. Sure, you want to play as many beautiful and traditional harp pieces that you can– but I spent three years learning “Scintillation” yet play “To a Wild Rose” every weekend to delighted audiences. Does that make me a gig thief? I have to stop now–I feel another hurl coming on…

    in reply to: Harp Art in Washington D.C.! #107711

    Yes! That one is in the basement with all the other sculpture. Thanks for finding the photo!

    in reply to: Harp Art in Washington D.C.! #107706

    I can’t believe I missed this one! When we went to the National Gallery (a whole different museum from the National Portrait Gallery) we got so bogged down in the Italian renaissance we had to race through the American side. Then when we got to the fountain area where “Night at the Museum 2” was filmed –you know, where the Jonas Brothers were cherubs?– my kids had to just sit for about 20 minutes and enjoy the vibe. Ah, well, this gives me a reason to go back!

    in reply to: Burgandy vs Bow Strings, or other #74419

    I’ve mentioned in other posts that I switched my 1 – 3 octaves on my Apollo to nylon (I had Bow brand on before that). About two months ago I got fed up with the things NEVER keeping pitch and having a constantly split right thumb, so I switched again to Vanderbilt Classic. The sound is so beautiful I can’t stop practicing, they’re easy on my hands, they hold pitch like a dream, and my thumb healed within a week. I’ll never stray from gut again, and Vanderbilt will be it!!!!

    in reply to: Why do you play the harp? #102537

    I was in Kindergarten. I must have seen a picture or heard the harp in a music class because I came home from school and told my parents I wanted to play it. (It’s weird how vivid this memory is!) Of course they said no– how seriously do you take a five-year-old boy? I remember getting mad and saying that I would build my own. I went down to the basement, found three long pieces of wood, nailed them together to make a triangle, then started wrapping white kite string around it. Realizing it wouldn’t work, I sat on the cold basement floor with the “harp” in my lap and started to cry. I guess the event left some kind of impression on my dad because ten years later he built me my first harp. I still have it!

    in reply to: Dale Barco #148001

    Carl, losing a mentor is a very difficult thing. One of mine was actually not in the harp world- Lloyd “Bud” Tygett, director of our local ballet company for decades, was one of the most amazing and talented people I ever had the privilege to learn from. I always forget just how incredible his theatrical and musical knowledge was until I’m involved in a stage project or creative endeavor; I am shocked to see that what I’ve come up with is just like what he would have done! My sympathy to you and to his family.

    in reply to: Exciting #108430

    That is so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    in reply to: Some health tips for us maturing “harpists.” #108374

    Diana, thanks for the advice!

    in reply to: Some health tips for us maturing “harpists.” #108371

    I forgot to agree with Sylvia. My grandmother is 94 and works like crazy. At 88 she was hanging sheet rock and plastering walls renovating a house!

    in reply to: Some health tips for us maturing “harpists.” #108370

    Listen to this! My mother was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease and placed on a strict gluten-free diet. I figured my number was up next with genetics being what it is, so I’ve cut phenomenally down on any wheat products and switched to pearled barley as a food staple. I also switched to 1% milk. Not changing anything else (I do try to run about 3- 5 miles a couple times a week) in about a month I’ve lost 10 pounds! But one of the weirdest side effects is my knees and hands stopped feeling achy. Cooking pearled barley is easy- 1 cup barley to 3 cups water (don’t get the hulled barley- I bruised my entire jaw-yes, it’s possible), let it boil for about 15 minutes, turn off the heat and let it sit for an hour. It’s delicious and tastes like rice. Give it a try!

    in reply to: Music written (or arranged) for harp & spoken word #108388

    I forgot about Debussy’s amazing “Chansons de Bilitis” (1897) for two harps, two flutes, speaking voice, and celeste.

    in reply to: Cant’ get enough! #108513

    That’s why I love being a harpist/school teacher. I couldn’t imagine having a job where I couldn’t get in massive amounts of practicing. I, too, get in these grooves where I just can’t get enough practicing! (Like right now with the Grossi and Boscha books from the other post.)

    in reply to: My Erard makes it’s debut! #74775

    Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    in reply to: My Erard makes it’s debut! #74772

    Carl, PLEASE make a recording with this harp that we can buy! It’s bordering on cruel and inhumane for us non-New Englanders!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 146 total)