Sherri Matthew

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 184 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Can an iPad be a good digital recorder? #76257
    Sherri Matthew
    Participant

    Hi Barbara,
    Thanks much for the insight! I think I will stick with my desktop machine. I had visions of being able to work directly on the touch screen with the tablet pen, as if drawing on paper, and that on a small device, but you’re probably right about that being a futuristic device.

    I love Quark and Photoshop…. I sure hope the DP industry doesn’t disappear. I’m using Quark to do the page layouts for my CD insert and Photoshop for touching up the prepress graphics (and also for my website). I guess the distinction is that the iPad is more for the end user, while the desktop is more towards production. And for my studio recording work, I’ve got a desktop machine as well, with a ton of memory and a professional sound card in it (and a million cables everywhere! 🙂

    Poor Janet, I’ve really hijacked her thread! 🙂 Sorry about that! Been thinking a lot lately about the graphics end of things. Want me to friend you? I’d be interested in hearing more about your graphics work.

    in reply to: Can an iPad be a good digital recorder? #76254
    Sherri Matthew
    Participant

    Hi Barbara,

    Probably would be using my home wifi for it, since I don’t travel much (or perform live). Mostly interested in seeing how useful they are for image editing. Sounds like the pressure sensitivity needs more development… it may be that the tablets aren’t really directed towards that market (not yet, anyway). I would like to see how it could do as a standalone graphics device in the future. Maybe Apple will decide to develop it as a smaller version of a desktop machine with Photoshop/Quark Xpress capabilities.

    I’ve been seeing this in the specs about the retina display… what is that?

    in reply to: Can an iPad be a good digital recorder? #76252
    Sherri Matthew
    Participant

    Hi Barbara and Maya,
    Thanks for your replies! I haven’t actually tried out an iPad yet, but I figured since they have a touchscreen and I still have my old wacom tablet pen (works without batteries), I wondered if it might be a neat idea to actually draw directly on the screen that way. Now I’ve got some starting info at least.

    Another question: there are several different versions of the iPad out now. I’ve bought used on eBay before, saved some money that way. Are the differences really that significant, in that they may limit what you might want to do: graphics for me, recording for Janet?

    in reply to: Can an iPad be a good digital recorder? #76249
    Sherri Matthew
    Participant

    Hi Tony,
    Quick question for you about the iPad: do you know what graphics application it supports? (If you visit my webpage you’ll see I’m also a visual artist, that’s why I’m asking). Anything comparable to Photoshop on a desktop machine? I just recently bought a new graphics tablet w/pen for my Windows XP workstation since it didn’t support my old Wacom drawing tablet. Can you do anything comparable with the iPad? I haven’t bought one of these yet, would love some feedback from somebody who has one.

    in reply to: Does anyone know who the harpist was in… #112246
    Sherri Matthew
    Participant

    Hi Felicia,
    Yes, I used to lurk too, until the new HarpColumn came on board and I noticed it was a pretty nice place to be. I read your profile and see you live in the mountains of the Sierra Nevada. That must be something! 🙂 I live now in the mountains of Vermont, originally lived in the flatlands of Western New York, near Buffalo. For me, a scenic environment has done a lot for my music. Do you do folk, classical, pop, or a little bit of everything?

    in reply to: You might be a harp addict if… #110910
    Sherri Matthew
    Participant

    You load firewood into the wood cart, trundle it to the stove and think, hey, I could use this for moving my harp! (Even though I’ve got a proper harp cart already…)

    in reply to: favorite things about your harp #76179
    Sherri Matthew
    Participant

    Hi Katerina,
    Those are lovely harps! Thanks for the info about the strings. I had wondered if some of them ever had metal strings on them or not, even partially. Do you know if triple harps are being used in contemporary music, or if they are primarily reserved for the historic repertoire?

    Also, what are the differences between Welsh and Italian triple harps – sound, construction, etc.? I’ve never had the opportunity to try either one out, just heard recordings of them… I have a tape of Nansi Richards playing Welsh tunes.

    in reply to: favorite things about your harp #76177
    Sherri Matthew
    Participant

    I love my Triplett Luna 35-string wire harp. Long, bell-like, shimmering sustain (what I like most about wire harps, long sustaining notes, probably coming from my pipe organ background), full set of chromatic sharping blades, and built-in piezo-electric pickup, which is a handy supplement to the other three mikes I routinely use in studio work. Also I like having access ports in the back of the harp so I can quickly and easily change strings when one breaks. I was always impressed with how Triplett’s did the laser engraving and abalone inlay on that harp with such precision… there is inlay on the front pillar and cap, and it is beautiful, neat work… also the delicate contrasting wood trim down the side. They must have some fancy woodworking equipment… wow.

    Katerina, I’ve always been interested in Welsh triple harps and I think I read somewhere that they may have originated from Italy prior to their arrival in Wales. What are your triples strung with – gut, nylon, other types of string? Do you have any pictures of them? How long have you been playing them and what music do you play on them?

    in reply to: harp names #68144
    Sherri Matthew
    Participant

    Wait until they make the connection – string plunking = food!! 🙂 Happens all too quickly!

    in reply to: Warm ups #112213
    Sherri Matthew
    Participant

    I don’t actually warm up my hands… just my ears. Since I’m not a live performer and do all my work in my own studio, I usually listen to other artists whose work I admire for about 15 minutes prior to starting. I’ve found I need to have my ears pretty intently focused if I want to minimize the number of retakes. Also on wire-strung harp, since I play with my nails on closely spaced strings, my movements tend to be very light and relaxed, with minimal motion, just barely striking the strings sometimes to get them to sound. I do have to watch out for ear fatigue though, when editing my layered organ recordings… take a break or come back the next day if need be.

    in reply to: harp names #68142
    Sherri Matthew
    Participant

    He he… that sounds familiar!

    in reply to: harp names #68140
    Sherri Matthew
    Participant

    Agree with you 100% on that one…. harps… and kitties, of course! 😉

    in reply to: me & my harps #112045
    Sherri Matthew
    Participant

    Just the number of strings and octaves you mentioned. Tough to fit all that onto your lap! 🙂

    Beautiful soundboard decoration, with the gold. I have laser carved celtic knots around the holes on my soundboard. Should try to photograph them some time when the light is good.

    in reply to: harp names #68135
    Sherri Matthew
    Participant

    Hi Sara,
    Love your kitty with harp photo! My Jasmine (tabby) plunks on my nylon-strung Paraguayan when she’s hungry (she can’t damage the strings) but definitely not allowed near my wire-strung Triplett! Those strings could hurt her if they broke, so I keep the instrument covered when I’m not playing it. What’s your kitty’s name? I have an orange male kitty too, looks just like that in the photo! But he doesn’t play harp.

    in reply to: me & my harps #112043
    Sherri Matthew
    Participant

    34 strings – I gather she’s a floor harp then? They have such nice resonance.
    I actually have never tried playing a lap harp, but I know they’re popular.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 184 total)