Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 781 through 795 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Strings for Harp #165775

    I prefer Pirastro nylon strings, and I use Bow brand gut strings and wire strings )silver/copper). You can buy them from many sources, depending on where you are, because the shipping cost will change depending on your location.

    in reply to: Harp covers #69164

    Thank you, Carl. It is comforting to know that some one is out there thinking about our needs.

    in reply to: Playing in Hospitals #146095

    I, too, wish that more would do it, but I have not found any that will pay. Maybe someday.

    in reply to: Young Man with a Harp #146079

    I don’t think it was ever published in a printed form. If it is in the Schirmer catalog, then you may be able to rent a copy or get an archival copy made. Let me know, please, if you find one. Otherwise, only a couple of harpists may have copies.

    in reply to: Playing in Hospitals #146090

    I think you will find that you have to volunteer at most hospitals.

    in reply to: Teaching/Learning Cross-rhythms? #82807

    I recently purchased a Dr. Beat metronome that can play cross-rhythms, and it extremely helpful. I think it might make learning cross-rhythms much easier.

    in reply to: How to improve Sight Reading in a short time??? #165808

    One important method is to focus on reading ahead, to always be at least one beat ahead of what you are playing. The best practice is to have your teacher or a friend slide a piece of paper across your music as you are playing, and it will force your eye to move faster, and your brain to short-term memorize faster. One can get hung up on notation, but you have to read the meaning. See what kind of chord it is, is it a c major or a minor? Then you can play the right notes even if they are not exactly what is written. There are books for sight-singing that you can use for reading practice. Do a lot of it, and it will get better.

    in reply to: Blisters… #165791

    Nivea used to have a conditioning oil that helped. Now, the best thing would seem to be bag balm. Fill your fingertips with it, then wash off the surface. Take a little break, sand the surface a bit, and avoid glisses/fluxes and lots of loud playing until you skin recovers. If the callous has separated from the skin underneath, it will gradually come to the surface and come off. Then you will be uncomfortable for a while. You have to be always conscious of your skin condition when playing. I avoid doing dishes before playing.

    in reply to: Petite Suite or Veijo Zortzico? #165737

    Cracked it in two weeks? With a metronome? If you are used to 5/8, perhaps that is feasible. It lays in the hand for the most part, but playing with feeling does take some time. But if you really did, then tackle his “La del alba Seria”. Let me know how you do with that one.

    in reply to: Music for Tenor Voice and Harp #146137

    Look up Benjamin Britten.

    in reply to: Should I change these strings? #69890

    Oil will spoil a string that is not conditioned to accept it, in my experience. If it suits a Bow string, then okay. Pirastro has strings made to be oiled. Fraying means a string is beginning to wear out, but as long as the pitch is true, snip off the strands with a cosmetic scissor or razor, very carefully. Do not pull them.

    in reply to: Chaconne on harp! #156081

    I don’t know what they are playing, but Dewey Owens’s first edition can be riveting. It is a grand piece of work. Not everyone is up to it. I heard several people perform it. But I think I have to agree, it will never truly rival a fine violinist. Or will it?

    in reply to: Chaconne on harp! #156078

    Yes, sometimes for amusement. Many former students of Lucile Lawrence have it in their concert repertoire.

    in reply to: Move the harp into the car alone #156038

    The best way I’ve seen yet comes from Virginia Flanagan. You position the harp at the gate/back door/flap, sideways. Get between the harp and the car and lay it on your lap. Then you can slide out from under the harp and gently transfer its weight onto the car. You then have to lift up the base and slide the harp into the car. So, you need a surface on which it can slide. You can lay a mattress on top of a plastic sheet, or put a plastic cover on your mattress. The harp needs to lay on its side so it is fully supported all the way around the frame, and fully cushioned from the bumps and shakes of driving. Do not skimp on padding. The padded cover is not enough. You can get a large piece of foam rubber to put on the plastic or plywood sheet that you slide in and out of the car. Do not slide the harp in and out with only the cover to protect it. You may damage the wood and the cover. Carpeting is not enough. You can use many cushions or pillows, but that is messy. I think you would need at least two layers of exercise mats, but I think they are not enough protection.

    in reply to: Lyon And Healy Harp Info. #69923

    You got your money’s worth. It will make a nice display piece. Reconstructing it will cost thousands.

Viewing 15 posts - 781 through 795 (of 2,806 total)