Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Show Off Piece #183213

    I seem to remember you playing the Spanish Dance no. 2 from La Vida Breve by Da Falla extremely well. Unless you are someone other than who I am thinking of.

    in reply to: Show Off Piece #183212

    Eight minutes covers most major solo works for harp! Salzedo showpieces up to that length include: Recessional (on my youtube channel)
    Scintillation, Ballade, Variations with the short ending (yecch), a group of Short Stories, Liszt Paraphrase, Christmas Paraphrases, the Preludes, Etudes, off the top of my head. He has a lot of great short pieces too, several of which are on my channel. Harpmusic by Saul Davis Zlatkovski.
    Other showy pieces on my list would be the Faure Impromptu,
    my favorite short piece is the Prokofiev Prelude, and then there is Danza de la Pastora by Halffter, a killer.
    One should always have an encore or two ready to play anytime, because people will ask. And criticize if it’s not perfect.
    I like the Saint-Saens Fantaisie, currently, because it includes lots of rests, and is a good introduction to the sound of the harp.

    in reply to: best dolly for stairs #183209

    The larger wheels are not large enough to help that much, and it is very hard on the back to be above it, lifting the harp up each step. You are better off laying a rug over the steps, taking it off the dolly, and hauling it up. With a rug down, if you stop to put the base down and rest, it won’t be hurt. And you’ll avoid damaging the point.

    in reply to: Can tuning down to 432hz hurt my harp? #183208

    What will hurt is if you suddenly bring it back up to pitch all at once. You have to do that gradually.

    in reply to: String spacing on pedal harps #183207

    Lyon & Healy, from what I recently heard, has two spacings in use, the normal one dating back fifty years or so, and a narrower one recently adopted, so you have to check carefully. If they no longer have the templates they need to make wide-spaced harps, that is terrible, because harpists who can easily reach a tenth need wide spacing in the sixth and seventh octave so the strings don’t hit each other.

    in reply to: I am stuck here . #183206

    Many people would envy being able to be in beautiful Greece, even if it is presently a poor place. There are professional harpists there, of course, like Theodor Matoulas and Maria Bildea, to name just two. You have been through trauma, no doubt, but you must take a positive attitude and you will get ahead, and if not, at least you will feel better.

    in reply to: Male harpists #183205

    I never have, and can’t imagine anyone else has, either.

    in reply to: Granados Twelve Spanish Dances #144634

    That was published by UME, which is part of Music Sales Group, so you should be able to buy it from Vanderbilt, or Musicroom.com, or Sheetmusicplus or one of those big dealers.
    I did find the Moreno-Buendia through interlibrary loan. I was surprised to find it is not a difficult part. I finally got the Montsalvatge Variations at a great cost from Spain, to find the piece was not worth the trouble.
    Meanwhile, I have been composing much music in the Spanish genre, which I hope to publish in the coming year.

    in reply to: Do wire strings tarnish? What do I do? #144613

    A change in color is due to use, I think, reaction to your oils, but tarnish on silver strings is black, and green on copper strings. If the sound hasn’t changed, don’t worry. And change strings once a year.

    in reply to: Charging someone for replacing their harp strings #144612

    Perhaps one dollar per string? Or .75 for nylon strings, 1.00 for gut and 2.00 for wires?

    in reply to: string paranoia #144611

    I hope to have missed out on this crisis, as I buy sets of strings in advance, and have not used all of mine yet. I have not noticed any problems from having strings for several years before using them, as long as they are in the sealed pouches.

    in reply to: Harpist Elizabeth Smart #144610

    I had hoped that with her exposure, she might have become a national spokeswoman for the harp. Maybe she will yet come to do that? But I’m not holding my breath.

    in reply to: Lesson I am Learning #144609

    Well, how do you think a guy feels? When I lived in New York, I could not work in any of the hotels because they would not hire guys, except for the one that had a guy in residence who did not want me to sub for him.
    The only answer I can think of is to seek out opportunities within your community, or to create some. Many people have that challenge, and it is unfair, because not everyone is gifted in that way.
    As a man, as a Jew, I find it utterly disgusting for blondes to be given preference in hiring. But it is often women doing the hiring, so what can you say? No one is immune to discrimination.

    in reply to: Salzedo notation sideways U-shaped accent #144298

    Lucile Lawrence demonstrates the execution of the symbols and notation in her instructional video. Everyone should watch it.

    in reply to: Lever Harp parts for orchestra #144285

    If you get one or two more lever harpers to join you, then you can divide the parts.

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 2,806 total)