Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,146 through 2,160 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Check in Berlioz’s memoirs. I spoke with Simon Rattle recently, and he said he always likes to have at least six harps for Symphonie Fantastique, and had just used three for Bruckner’s Eighth Symphony. I forget the composer, but an early French opera called Ossian used something like nine harps, around 1810.

    Ernest Bloch wrote a lengthy article once calling upon all symphony orchestras to employ a section of harps, four or greater, preferably much more, to create an entirely new dimension of sound in the orchestra. It implies that his Shelomo, which has two harp parts, should be played with two or more harps per part.

    in reply to: Camden Redone #152153

    Were you able to see into the house? The driveway was at the side with an overhanging room. It looks the same now. I only remember a tiny lawn in front of the house. I was last there in 1983.

    in reply to: Dittersdorf concerto a major #152058

    Where did you try to get it? It is widely distributed. The best recording of it I have heard is with Jutta Zoff.

    in reply to: Camac Trianon 47, lyon healy style 23 #75075

    Style 23s have long been the gold standard in harp tone and visual beauty, for over 50 years. They are the harp all others are routinely compared to. The days when they varied tremendously from one to another are long gone, it seems. Current manufacturing seems to result in very consistently good harps.

    One thing that you can do if not in the U.S., is to learn to do the basic maintenance and regulation yourself, as we all used to do, more or less. I believe Carl Swanson’s book tells you how to do that, and Lyon & Healy will supply the parts.

    Based on the Camac harps that I have heard, they are not quite of the same quality of manufacturing or tone in performance. They are less expensive, as far as I know, so if cost is an issue, that is worth considering. What you need the harp for is another thing. If you will be playing at home for yourself, you can get pretty much anything. If you will play in an orchestra, you need certain kinds of harps.

    Regulation requires manual dexterity, and comfort with tools, and some analytical thinking. With study and practice, it is manageable.

    Style 23s are considered top-of-the-line among Lyon & Healy models. The 100 is an excellent mid-line harp. If you have not liked them, you could try the Style 30 for

    in reply to: Historical harp recordings #109506

    I have seen a list of 78 recordings. There was a partial list in the American Harp Journal. You can search the Library of Congress or New York Public Library. Salzedo made recordings with Trio de Lutece, very interesting. Ada Sassoli made at least one. But collectors are loath to part with them.

    in reply to: Historical harp recordings #109505

    It’s not harp, but I just ordered a copy of a recording of piano rolls that includes a performance by Salzedo of one of his own piano pieces.

    I knew Olga’s uncle and aunt, and recently noticed she was once one of the rare harpists to win a gold prize at the Geneva musical competition.

    in reply to: Building a school harp program #85748

    Well, maybe you can work something out with the new Chicago harps. I only wish more schools would do the same. Also, make sure the storage is secure.

    in reply to: If You Go Away by Paul Mauriat #152160

    Is that not Ne Me Quitte Pas, which is by Jacques Brel, I’m pretty sure? To me it is not a good melody for the harp because it has so many repeated notes. La Vie en Rose is more suitable, to my thinking, the theme from Moulin Rouge (original), Feuilles Mortes, etc. I would also avoid Windmills of

    in reply to: looking for a pedal harp piece written after 1950 #152123

    American Pictures: Prairie Night is around four minutes, I think, is in the American classical genre, scenic. It is moderately difficult, not terribly fast, requires musicality.

    Villanesca: in memory of Dewey Owens is a lively flute-like melody over changing ostinato bass lines, with one rather tricky figure, it is musically simpler, but a bit more technically challenging.

    Both are published by Da Costa Music House and available from me at the moment.

    Nocturne is the longest, six or seven minutes, I think, a dreamy somewhat more modern romantic work, reminiscent of Giselle. It is published by Harpiana editions, and available from them or certain dealers, I’m not sure which.

    At least one Salzedo work, Prelude for a Drama, was published after 1950.

    I have the markings for Tal’s Intrada, which is quite fun to play. I have many other works of other composers, and my own, either not quite finished or not published yet.

    I think the best thing is to go through the catalogs and buy as many pieces as you can, and by names you don’t know, and occasionally you will find a gem that justifies the others. If people don’t buy music, there won’t be any more published to buy, or that will be sold, except popular fluff.

    in reply to: Royal Harpist accused of burglary and fraud #109626

    Well, I keep looking for you to be the next one, Alexander!

    in reply to: College/university teachers of the French Method? #85773

    University of Minnesota, Kathy Kienzle, instructor.

    USC, JoAnne Turovsky

    in reply to: Diebel Brass and Harp #152187

    Might it be an awkward notation for fluidic sounds?

    in reply to: looking for a pedal harp piece written after 1950 #152115

    I have published three pieces, and Salzedo did publish pieces after 1950. Dean Roush composed some wonderful solos, and there is the entire output of Ami Maayani, plus other wonderful Israeli composers. I’m not sure how one looks based on dates, but if you go through the harp music catalogs, most of the names you don’t know are likely to be recent composers.

    in reply to: Do rings get in the way? #109560

    Well, I was taught never that harpists don’t wear rings or nail polish, so I hold to that.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,146 through 2,160 (of 2,806 total)