Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,876 through 1,890 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Question about harp exercises #84191

    I would recommend that you use the Lawrence/Salzedo Method for its exercises. They are a bit more basic than the Conditioning Exercises which are challenging and meant to build strength and coordination.

    in reply to: Question about harp exercises #84904

    I would recommend that you use the Lawrence/Salzedo Method for its exercises. They are a bit more basic than the Conditioning Exercises which are challenging and meant to build strength and coordination.

    in reply to: Question about harp exercises #85414

    I would recommend that you use the Lawrence/Salzedo Method for its exercises. They are a bit more basic than the Conditioning Exercises which are challenging and meant to build strength and coordination.

    in reply to: Bag for strings and accessories #150898

    Lyon & Healy used to sell their own attache case, once upon a time. I remember Karen Gottlieb had one, and in her car she had a set of plastic drawers for hardware to hold all the mechanical parts to repair her harp. Very impressive.

    in reply to: Maximillian Strings? #74870

    The best strings overall that I know of would be Pirastro.

    in reply to: Beginning the harp as an adult #159573

    Again, I would consider at least beginning with analog recording, which is very simple and easy to do by yourself, and then transferring it to digital for editing if necessary.

    in reply to: Need data/info on physical requirements to play #150912

    A Dr. Bejjani, formerly married to Elaine Christy Bejjani, did studies on several New York harpists to compare their techniques. He may have the data you need. The study might have been published in the Journal of Performing Arts Medicine. There are doctors out there with the knowledge you need. There are Performing Arts Medicine organizations through which you can try to locate them. Many other doctors won’t bother. I brought my orthopedist a video and he never bothered to watch it. Heinz Lippmann was at Montefiore in the Bronx, and he helped harpists, but I don’t know if he published anything or left any documentation. I know a harpist who went through the same thing, if you write me, I can give you her name.

    in reply to: Able Assistant Harp Cart #74026

    What does a guitar have to do with the harp?

    This harp belonged to Walter Pfeil. I haven’t been able to find out anything more. He extensively modified it as you can see from the pictures of the base. He is/was wont to replace any metal parts with ones of his own choosing.

    in reply to: cool slang names for pieces #108727

    Some don’t really need a nickname, such as “Fingal’s Cave”.

    in reply to: Harp Camp #166534

    The Rocky Mountains Harp Camp has excellent instruction with Christa Grix and a wonderful atmosphere.

    in reply to: backpains #159596

    Core muscle exercise is the most important thing, it will support and stabilize your lower back. Do not sit on anything that will swivel while playing. Drum stools don’t look good, but they can do the trick. When I am visiting home, I use a bathing bench.

    in reply to: Opinions on thumb-under or thumb-over #159620

    The one

    in reply to: Opinions on thumb-under or thumb-over #159619

    It was in New York on the Musica Sacra series, so I don’t know if he borrowed the instrument from someone like Cheryl Fulton or brought it over from England. It was a reconstruction of a don’t-remember-if it was a triple harp or a Spanish-type. It was very unpleasant.

    in reply to: Composing harp music #159628

    Do not get hooked into Sibelius. It is not that harp friendly, and does not have a lot of our notation needs in mind. You have very little control over how it looks. I regret having gone that route, though it is an easier one to learn (only took several months). Score is a highly reputable program for publishing music. If you are sketching doodads, a free or cheap program may be all you need. You could also do it by hand. It works.

    in reply to: need music for a Bar Mitzvah #150957

    Kammen music has long published large collections, and Tara music has them also. But which part of the bar mitzvah are you playing for? That makes a difference. If there is a Jewish musician in your area you can consult with, it will help you. Many of the most famous songs, such as Erev Ba, are recent and not in public domain.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,876 through 1,890 (of 2,806 total)