patricia-jaeger

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 950 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Whatever happened to Mildred Dilling’s harps? #71945

    Because a national AHS Conference was in Portland, Oregon, years ago, I was able to go, and took with me a 22-string Linrud Minstrel lap harp with standard string spacing, and middle C in the middle of the harp, made by Earl Thompson. This was so that I could keep my fingers limber and also possibly try some of the interesting techniques taught in workshops there. Mr. Thompson started his harp making as a cottage industry, and his wife and daughter sewed the red cloth covers for them. Mr. Thompson told me I was his second best customer. His best one was Mildred Dilling. I had bought (over time, as my “Beginning Harp Class” in night schools grew) 40 of his harps, and for 16 years I was able to start over 600 people from all walks of life on the harp using these small part-fiberglass harps..

    As I came in to the registration area after arriving at the conference, Mildred spotted the little red-covered harp I carried, and called across the room: ” Is he still making those?” So that was my first meeting with Miss Dilling.

    in reply to: String Tension Comparison #78327

    Tacye, Thank you so much! I will look into those choices.

    in reply to: String Tension Comparison #78325

    Regarding string tension: I have a small flat metal gauge for string diameter measurement in millimeters made by Elton company, that was about $4.00. It has been so useful over the years, for replacing a broken string with one that has the same diameter. All string players could benefit this way, having such a gauge, but I wonder if anyone here knows a source for them these days?

    in reply to: Cars & Transportation #76610

    My late harp teacher had two Cadillacs, one silver-gray, the other gold-like, “for Sundays”, she said. Somehow she would have enough room to put her pedal harp in through the back but the base would still protrude out just a bit so the tailgate could not quite close! She put extra padding there and secured the tailgate firmly before she drove off to her harp engagement. She played beautifully and was a very kind and gracious teacher., charging very little, and I am so glad to have had her a a mentor. In the time of the silent, black-and-white movies, as a high school student, she was earning more playing music for those, in a theatre downtown, than what some men were bringing home to their families. Do you all know of that book by Erno Rapee, with piano music for all film scenes, whether for Romance, Fights, Patriotism, Chases, etc? It was in the Vault of the Treasure Room at my music conservatory fifty years ago; but I hear it has been reprinted!

    in reply to: Which shoulder? #89114

    Among left-handed musicians, I remember that the great Ukranian cellist Gregor Piatigorsky (1903-1976) was left-handed. He was considered the greatest cello virtuoso of the world, and had remarkable skill with playing either of his two Stradivarius instruments. His long left hand fingers were wonderfully adept on the strings, and his right hand with the bow mastered difficult techniques such as downbow spiccato to the amazement of those in the audiences that flocked to his concerts in the U.S. I was fortunate to hear him in Philadelphia in my youth.

    in reply to: Soliciting Encouragement for young professionals #113585

    Brian had some good advice, above. Marry so that you are not the sole earner in your life with music. Diversify so that you have other skills besides playing or teaching harp. Can you teach other instruments also? Face the reality that free lancing for any musician is very rarely going to enable you to be hired with all the cheaper choices for beautiful music on recordings these days, regardless of your expertise. Take courses once you discover another favorite field you would enjoy spending time in, in which you seem to have a gift. You are unique and part of you is music, but surely there is more: Discover the rest and lead a much more fullfilling life!

    in reply to: Harpcart for lever harps #78308

    As mentioned above by Tacye, many players using smaller harps such as 40-string ones, can opt to use a cart from (1.) a free catalog from Hanover House, a company in Pennsylvania, where they offer a cart of extruded aluminum for taking one’s trash bins to the curb (very light weight, and the bottom lip folds up for storage); or from a luggage or department store. (2.) On the internet take a look at Kart-a-Bag company. I have the Continental 500 model by Remin sold there. That company is in Joliet, Illinois 60433, and telephone is: 815-723-1940. Each model of these wheeled carriers is over 30 years old, still performing quite well, and were under $20. For a larger pedal harp I use a carrier sold at Melody’s Traditional Music and Harp Store, in Cypress, Texas. It is of wood, weighs about 14 pounds, and specifically for harps. For any harp carrier, it is important that the model you choose have two stems rather than one, leading from the bottom lip to the handles at the top, and large enough wheels to function well over gravel, grass, and harder surfaces (not the Hanover House model, that is used mostly for other equipment needed by a harp player such as amplifier, bench, etc.) when the player needs another person, or a second trip to the car, to load these things. You may also need bungee cords, to secure your harp in its transport cover to the carrier, or wide black elastic used in waistbands of ladies’ skirts, sold in fabric stores. Pull these tightly around both harp and carrier, and tie the two ends of the elastic in a bow, for easier loosening when you arrive at your destination.

    in reply to: Easy listening/smooth jazz/”elevator music” #62268

    Ben, it’s useful if you post what kind of harp you are playing: pedal or lever, and if lever, how many strings and if you have full levers or less. That said, you could make a personal list of titles of favorites you want to find, and then search harp music catalogs such as those from Vanderbilt, Lyon and Healy, Melody’s, Sylvia Woods, or Pilgrim Harps (England) and so on.There you may well find published favorites of pieces on your list. If some still cannot be found, look in piano catalogs (Alfred Publishing, Mel Bay, etc.) and if you are near a large music store, go and see if you or a helpful clerk can find some from your list that, before buying, you decide whether you could adapt them easily for your harp. You may not find any of your favorites that are composed later than about 1924, because of U.S.copyright restrictions. In Canada and other countries the laws for publication or recording are different. Naturally, living composers, and estates of recently died composers have rights to royalties from sales of their compositions. Anything in Public Domain (give a look to see what a large amount of composed music is there) is legal, however. If you never perform music for profit, don’t worry; you may play anything you like to relax and enjoy. You may need to change the key signature, leave out a few notes, or use enharmonic spelling (with the pedal harp), adapting from printed piano music that employs ten fingers instead of eight.
    Good luck, and let us know how your search is going!

    in reply to: orchestration class #89914

    Natalie, I’m sure that in your comment above, you meant LAMINATED, not Lamented. It made me smile however, because of the context in which it was used:-).

    in reply to: orchestration class #89913

    Alison, I have that Marson book on glissandi, and highly recommend it, for any pedal harp player of intermediate, or higher level. A scholarly work, 73 pages replete with diagrams, pedal graphs, and thoughtful analyses, it will give a reader much greater insight and command over any glissando. Careful study little by little, at your harp with this book on your music stand, will provide a much deeper understanding so that eventually you may absorb so much of it that it can return to your shelf of reference material and on the spot you can execute any kind of glissando on double action harps, and several even on single action harps.

    in reply to: freezing cold hands due to nerves – tips? #62910

    I was given a muff by the hostess at an event where I played harp. It is white rabbit fur, or fake, I don’t really know, and lined inside with some grey rayon or silk. Now at many events, with a little packet of hand warmer (sold at outdoor clothing shops) inside, I can keep the muff near at hand, or on my lap. Between harp pieces I can re-warm my hands inside the muff, as needed. Those who sew could make their own muff, in black to be more invisible if your skirt is black, or any color or material. When a sermon at church goes on rather long, a harp player can silently warm hands the whole time!

    in reply to: freezing cold hands due to nerves – tips? #62904

    I have Raynauds Phenomenon, the same diagnosis that Philippa (above) says her mom also has. Be sure to visit either a M.D, or a N.D, to be sure of your particular situation. Many of the above suggestions posted here are good, but research has not yet found a positive cure. I get crystallized ginger lumps from an organic food store, about a pound at a time so it will be several months before I need to get more. This doesn’t interfere with any medicines you would ordinarily take. About an hour before I am scheduled to play, I take 2 or 3 lumps with a glass of warm water, and usually my whole body warms up considerably. Always wear rubber gloves when you wash dishes. The hot water and dishwashing liquid combine to get greasy dishes quite clean, but over time can numb nerves in the bare hands and also remove the natural oils that keep hands healthy. Dress warmer than other people who have no problem with the cold hands that we have; wear mittens earlier in the fall, and later as winter turns into spring.

    in reply to: Looking for options #89930

    Have you considered Notre Dame University in South Bend, Indiana? Here is a link to the Harp Instructor there, Suzann Young-Davids.

    http://music.nd.edu/faculty-and-staff/suzann-young-davids/

    in reply to: In Paradisum for harp and organ? #62213

    Melissa, I remember that Diane Bish, organ, and I think Susann NcDonald, harp, have made a recording together. Perhaps this selection is included on it. Does anyone have time to research this? My arrangement of In Paradisum, for Solo Harp, published by Herald Music in Seattle, several years ago, would allow an organist to join and form a duet using certain excerpts from Faure’s original organ part. Herald Music publications are available in the U.S.A. and several foreign countries.

    in reply to: lever harpists’ experience with busking? #62865

    Caleigh, I have never done any busking, but I was given a book , written by David Michael, who did it extensively. I strongly suggest you look for a copy:
    “Busker, Tales of a Renegade Harpist”
    ISBN – 978 0 615 47306 2 Copyright 2011
    Purnima Press, Post Office Box 317, Port Townsend, WA, 98368

    http://www.RenegadeHarpist.com

    http://www.PurnimaProductions.com

    There is a companion CD inside the back cover, Mr. Michael has played in many foreign countries, and on ferry boats also. He gives 50 important tips any busker should read, including different rules to follow to avoid breaking the law, especially if you plan to offer CDs of your music . At 217 pages, the sometimes hilarious details of his forty years entertaining around the globe ” from the cafes on the isle of Crete to the walking streets of Scandanavia and the ferryboats of Puget Sound” make this the best possible preparation for any busking you plan to do.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 950 total)