Gretchen Cover

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 721 through 735 (of 866 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Christmas carols for SATB and lever harp #61927

    You may want to look at Carol Him Sweetly by Ruth Elaine Schram. I bought it through http://www.sheetmusicplus.com. It is written for SATB, harp. It is original music combined with Silent Night. There are no accidentals in the harp part.

    in reply to: On Shipping a Harp #77521

    Call the company that made your harp and ask for advice. They ship harps worldwide and could best advise you.

    I was told when I shipped my harp in the US to put a big up arrow on the case and fragile sticker. I was also told to write in the shipping instructions and put a sign on the case that said, “Do not stack or use forklift.” Of course, don’t assume anyone can or will read instructions.

    Also check on your insurance policy and ask the harp company for advice on that, too.

    in reply to: Anyone know any history of my harp?- very strange #77482

    Leon,

    I am not an expert on old harps which is why I would have a harp tech look at it. I would seek advice from others with old harps and harp shops and but most definitely a harp tech who works on older harps. You have an instrument that seems to be in great shape, and you certainly want it to stay that way.

    in reply to: Anyone know any history of my harp?- very strange #77478

    Leon, You may want to read about string tension for older harps at http://www.hbryan.com. Your harp is beautiful. You would get a harp technician to look at your new harp if you plan to play it regularly.

    in reply to: Advent music #61917

    Ellen,

    I revisited Kim Robertson’s “Celtic Christmas” carol book. There are some suitable Advent pieces: Lo’ How A Rose, Sheep May Safely Graze, and Veni Emmanuel. There are two more I need to check out (Divinium mysterium and Verbum supernum.

    in reply to: Advent music #61911

    Ellen,

    I have Kim’s book. I love her arrangements, too, and I greatly appreciate your suggesting it. However, it is Christmas music. It took me a while to learn that Advent music cannot be anything about the birth of Jesus. That music is played Christmas Eve and afterwards especially in the Catholic and Episcopal Church. Advent is about the anticipation of Jesus. That really limits what can be played from our familiar Christmas music.

    The website given above my Sylvia was very helpful in explaining Advent. There is just such a limited amount of interesting music.

    BTW, I found there is a Spanish carol called “The Icy December” arranged by Ray Pool from Carols from Around the World, Vol. 2 that could be used for Advent.

    in reply to: Roslin Castle #61905

    Also meant to mention http://www.folkharp.com. They have two books (one by Kim Robertson) with Roslin Castle included.

    in reply to: Roslin Castle #61904
    in reply to: Contracts for church gigs? #62666

    David,

    Pick up the phone and call the person sending the emails. Get an explanation. Sometimes emails just don’t do the job of conveying a message. Then write what you hear and email it back. Get a deposit and contract.

    Gretchen

    in reply to: Grandjany Automne – ASAP #61890

    If you bought a copy and are waiting for it, perhaps the seller could scan the music and email it to you.

    in reply to: Entr’acte for harp & clarinet? #61886
    in reply to: Contracts for church gigs? #62664

    An oral contract is worth the paper it is written on – Louis B. Meyer.

    It is unfortunate you are getting stiffed but as a former office manager, I don’t think you can do much except hope the church will actually pay you under the oral contract agreement. I guess the lesson learned here is that once someone insists on reserving you, have it in writing and with a deposit. You’d like to think you can do business with a former client on a handshake but…..

    in reply to: L&H Style 150 #77360

    Let’s hope the sound is better than the look of the 150. At least it is in the affordable range.

    in reply to: How to get a used harp looking its best? #77349

    I would call Lyon Healy and ask for advice. Meantime, you can use a black Sharpie marker to hide discolored nicks, scratches etc.

    in reply to: Slow learner or Just too impatient? #112981

    Sarah,

    Speak to your harp teacher about not having anything you can play in public. There is a lot of wonderful music that is not too difficult. I would suggest you take a look at music written by Frank Voltz and Kathryn Cater (they write for both pedal and lever harp). Some of the harp music websites like http://www.harpconnection.com and http://www.folkmusic.com show the first page of sheet music so you can try it. Christmas is coming up. Now would be the time to find one or two carols you could play for friends. You do need to work on technique pieces to improve but having a couple show-off pieces is important, too.

Viewing 15 posts - 721 through 735 (of 866 total)