Gretchen Cover

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 866 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • A jazz harp foundation newsletter (2012) credits Robert Maxwell as the movie’s harpist. The clip is great! And I agree that Clifton Webb was very credible as a harpist.

    You need to start somewhere. Go with the troubadour rental. When you get more experienced you can make a better informed decision on your next move. This is something akin to deciding what car you want to own before you’ve learned to drive.

    in reply to: Looking for a new harpmobile! #78217

    Kate,

    It seems like you and your family have this under control. My son is 24 so I guess that is why I am showing parental concern about your accident. Plus, while living in the DC area, my husband and I were involved over the years in six accidents – none our fault. It is bad enough to be traumatized by an accident but then you are the victim twice due to dealing with the car, insurance, etc. I am glad you are all right on all fronts. I hope you find a suitable car.

    BTW, check online at http://www.autotrader.com. That is a very useful resource for cars.

    in reply to: Looking for a new harpmobile! #78215

    Kate,

    What is YOUR insurance company and your insurance agent doing to help you out?

    Also, don’t be afraid to call your state insurance commission for advice. They can be very helpful. I used it to help out with health insurance and found it was one government agency that was on the ball.

    Do not feel pressured in any way to settle. Keep the rental car and think about yourself – not to worry if you are inconveniencing the insurance company. Get everything in writing. Insurance companies are out to get premiums and not pay claims – including yours. If they tell you that you have to settle in a certain time, ask to see the documentation. Have them prove it to you.

    in reply to: Looking for a new harpmobile! #78213

    Kate,

    I am so thankful you were not hurt. I was horrified seeing the photo of your car. You may want to talk to your insurance agent – perhaps a lawyer, too, to address your car needs. Your replacement car goes beyond just the value of your van. You need it for a specific purpose. There may be some more insurance money due to your need to haul a harp. Just a thought.

    PS/ Do not be in a hurry to settle the accident until you are perfectly certain you have no long-term injury, particularly with your neck. We had a friend who thought his neck was sprained from a car accident, and it was broken. The xray was read wrong (don’t mean to scare you; just to encourage caution).

    in reply to: Harp availability dilemma, and L&H Ogden advice #78227

    Jodi,

    The American Harp Society is having its annual conference in New Orleans in June (www.ahsconference.org). I did not see a listing of current vendors on the website. Perhaps you could check last year’s to find out what makers of lever harps exhibited and see if you might want to attend.

    You may also want to check on the internet to see what other harp gatherings are taking place that include harp vendors. I’m sure Lyon Healy and other harp makers could help you with this. Harp makers I can think of off the top of my head include Lyon Healy, Salvi, Marini, Thormalen, Dusty Springs, Camac. Then you could try different harps in the same place.

    You might also call music vendors such as Melody Folk Harp and Sylvia Woods Harp Center for information on where/how you could try different harps.

    in reply to: The Owosso Harpist – The Harp Album on Kickstarter #113563

    To the HC readers: Take a minute to read about Sherry’s project before commenting. Good luck, Sherry.

    in reply to: Exercises for arpeggios #60549

    Loon, are you overwhelmed with advice:)

    in reply to: Need advice please: Camac Atlantide or Salvi Aurora? #78199

    Take the time to listen to the 2 youtube clips above. Isabelle Moretti plays on a Camac. Her playing phenomenal!

    in reply to: Need advice please: Camac Atlantide or Salvi Aurora? #78195

    I have been pleased with Salvi. I bought my Aurora in 1976 so I have many years of dealing with them. Alexandra helped me when I decided to get a new harp a couple years ago. She really knows harps.

    Keep HC posted on what you decide. You have a difficult decision to make. My best to you, and congratulations in advance on your new harp.

    in reply to: Exercises for arpeggios #60546

    Carl, you go into more detail but I think all of us agree to start practicing the arpeggio as a chord first. And yes, not adjusting after placing your hands is very important. That is why you need to practice the arpeggio as chords first. It is to get your hands properly placed quickly.

    in reply to: Need advice please: Camac Atlantide or Salvi Aurora? #78193

    Talia,

    Don’t think about a “big” sound. Concert grands will seem loud if you aren’t used to it. Listen carefully that the harp sounds EVEN when you play all the registers. I hope your visit to the Aurora went well.

    And yes, Phillippa, the Apollo can be a beast to move. I can always find someone to help me tilt it into and out of the van. I can do the rest.

    in reply to: Exercises for arpeggios #60542

    I use a pencil to mark blocks of arpeggios. Then I practice them as block chords. When I can play the block chords, I start the separate fingers using the metronome at a slow speed and build up to tempo.

    in reply to: Need advice please: Camac Atlantide or Salvi Aurora? #78188

    Talia,

    I would really try to play both harps. Is there anyone within reasonable distance that has either harp so you could play one? You are making an expensive investment.

    When I looked for a new harp, I tried a Camac. I really did not like the pedals at all. That may be because I was trading in my 35 year old Aurora and I was used to Salvi pedals, which by the way, feel exactly like Lyon Healy pedals. Salvi’s are built very strongly. I would not worry about the warranty. I have heard of a couple bad harps but that would be highly unusual, particularly with the way harps are built now.

    Personally, for the money you are spending I would buy a Salvi Apollo. That is what I bought to replace my Aurora. It is a fantastic harp and if you can swing the extra money, it would be your best harp, IMHO. You should talk to Alexandra Perdew at Salvi Harps in California. She is very helpful and knowledgable.

    Here’s the easy way out: Debussy for Flute or Violin & Harp. Transcribed and edited by Louise F. Pratt. It is in E. It is not difficult to play.

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 866 total)