Gretchen Cover

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 866 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: How's this harp part? #215892

    Yes, looks more organized. BTW, thank you for including a harp part in your music and for asking real harpists for advice on the scoring.

    in reply to: How's this harp part? #215873

    Personally, the second option is easier to play and the one I would prefer. Have you discussed this with the harpist who will actually play the part?

    in reply to: Harp composition competitions #215756

    Here’s another wonderful seldom performed work: Concertino in Jazz by Deltour.

    https://youtu.be/CKqYYtMfdsw

    in reply to: Anyone seen/heard a Mikel 38 yet? #215736

    David, you seem to have a case of what I call “paralysis by analysis.” You have to keep researching and thinking and then nothing gets accomplished. Why don’t you simply rent a harp and start lessons. Then you will better know what you really want in a harp. Plus you will learn how to play.

    in reply to: Harp composition competitions #215734

    Interesting comments, Saul. To be honest, I knew nothing about any of the pieces you mention. Jeu Poetique is such an incredible work for harp, I am posting the clip here.

    BTW, perhaps AHS could get a grant and work on a bibliography of harp compositions. Perhaps you could suggest that to AHS.

    Someone posted this clip of finger fitness a long time ago. It really helps your finger control. There are other shorter clips on YouTube. This might be useful for Davy.

    in reply to: Eye glass needs for harpists? #215441

    Seriously, take your harp and music stand to the optometrist. I did. (You and the optometrist may even get some photos to use for publicity out of the visit.)It turned out after a lot of trial and error with lenses that I did not need glasses. Just made the music a little bigger on my iPad. You may also want to consider progressive lenses designed just for your harp playing. My husband, who had multiple sets of task glasses -sports, computer, driving -swears by them, now.

    in reply to: PREMIER harp strings #215191

    Andy, have you considered trying Vanderbilt gut? I used them for years before being discontinued. Now, Michelle Abbott, the new owner of Vanderbilt Music, has brought them back. Premier on my Salvi grands are spectacular. I cannot say enough good things about the sound. However, I did not notice a big sound difference on my LH17. Others have said similar comments about Premier on their LH23s. I will most likely try the Vanderbilt gut when l next restring the 17. I am going to make a before and after recording. The string difference was dramatic on my Salvi’s.

    in reply to: Arrangment for the hymn – O Sacred Head Now Wounded? #215125

    Hmmm, out of curiosity l went to google and found an arrangement by Janet Lanier, one by Barabara Fackler in her book The Sacred Lever Heart and another nice arrangement for harp and violin on Sheet Music Plus.

    in reply to: Groundhog Day Harp Trio! #214677

    Fun and very clever!

    in reply to: Stand for iPad Pro? #214530

    I am the earlier poster who use a Standzout stand. Of course the iPad Pro fits the holder or I would not have that stand. If you check the website, Standzout clearly states the stand and universal tablet holder can be used with all tablets. My major complaint is the stand pole does not readily detach from the base for moving. PS/ I wrapped bicycle handle bar tape on the stand pole to protect my harp.

    in reply to: Clifford Wooldridge #214272

    Let everyone know if it still published. Here is the Lipman Duo.

    in reply to: Hindemith Markings #214169

    Alice Giles offers an on-line class to learn the Hindemith Sonata. http://www.alicegiles.com

    in reply to: Position of Harp 2 in the orchestra #214131

    Thank you for the performance tips. The winds harp score is almost identical to the original orchestra score. Wish harp 1 would work with harp 2 (me) but that is not to be. This is just one performance so I need to manage as best l can. I have been listening to Tokyo Winds and going through the conductor’s score to find cues and practice counting. Thankfully, I have performed with this conductor before and he knows I will do my best.

    in reply to: Harp Transportation Overseas. #213819

    Can the shipping company make a crate to go around the existing box? We had to move a valuable tall case clock and the shipping company made a wood crate. Can’t recall the cost but it was not much. Did you check with Salvi Harps?

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 866 total)