Gretchen Cover

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 866 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Opinion on a harp part #217597

    Personally, I think the music is awful. But as a harpist asked to play the harp part, my opinion doesn’t matter. My job is to play the harp with the orchestra and follow the conductor. The important thing is to make the harp part work so you can perform it. I recently played on very short notice, as in one runthrough, Theme from a Shaker Melody. There was no way I had time to learn to play both hands after the introduction so I played one line split hands. It had the same effect as playing the part as written. Carlin may have to go for just the important notes to make this work. She should discuss the part with the conductor, if necessary, and let the conductor know what she is changing in her part and why.

    in reply to: Choral / Orchestral parts #217492

    Go to the choral work on imslp and click all the links to see if the orchestration is there. Also do a key word search on google. Are you looking for something specific?

    in reply to: Opinion on a harp part #217488

    Yes, but it will take a lot of metronome work to get the timing accurate. Lots of signature changes. Orchestra is not my strong suit so I would want to review the conductor score to see where my part fits in. Also, there are strong breaks so if you get lost, you know where to re-enter. Mark those. Best to you on this difficult part – for me anyhow.

    in reply to: Music for Harp & Strings #217261

    Elegy for harp and strings by multiple Emmy winner composer Lee Holdridge. Also Ballet Fantasy for Strings and Harp by Lee Holdridge. Contact the composer for music. Rental. http://www.leeholdridge.com

    in reply to: Carbon Fiber Pedal Harp #217066

    I tried one. Once. That was once enough. Barely sounded like a harp and felt unbalanced. Try one for yourself.

    in reply to: Bach Prelude #217024

    Josh Layne’s version is for pedal harp. Josh has the pedals marked in his arrangement. However, his arrangement is for the Bach/Gounod version of Prelude in C. But you could take out the extra measures. If you want what appears to be the correct version, you can go to imslp and download the Prelude in C arr. Kroll. This reflects what was discussed above but has no pedal markings. Hopefully, others will have suggestions for you, too.

    in reply to: Bach Prelude #217014

    Brook, Regina Ederveen sells an arrangement for lever harp on Sheetmusicplus. Josh Layne has a free version on his website or you can find it on his YouTube clip of Prelude in C. You might want to look at those.

    in reply to: Bach Prelude #216990

    Thanks. I just went to Imslp and found two of the early versions to compare. The first is dated 1740-59 with copyist Karl Muller and composer corrections by Wilhelm Bach. It is a hand printed manuscript. The second one is typeset and easier to read. Edited by Frank Kroll 1866.

    When I get to measure 21 in the earliest version, the baseline is F, F then F#, F#, followed by Ab, Ab, to G The Kroll arrangement in the same place goes F F, F# F#, Ab Ab and on to G. They appear to be the same throughout. Both versions are 35 measures.

    in reply to: Bach Prelude #216986

    I think my three arrangements add measures for an introduction because all have the the part for Ave Maria.

    in reply to: Bach Prelude #216944

    The Prelude in C versions I have also can be played with the Gounod Ave Maria. Each is 40 measures. Thanks for the distinction, Emily. However, I am unclear as to exactly what measure is added. If playing the Bach/Gounod Ave Maria what measure is extra?

    in reply to: Music for Harp & Strings #216635

    Fantasía On Greensleeves, Ralph Vaughn Williams, arr. Greaves (need a flutist)

    Processional, McDonald/Woods (available Vanderbilt Music, can be played with just strings, harp)

    Concerto in D, Vivaldi, arr. Kathy Bundock Moore (Don’t let concerto scare you off. Parts equally divided. Listen to a YouTube clip and then decide.)

    In the Company of Angels, William Hofeldt

    Ashokan Farewell, Jay Unger, arr. Cerulli (score has other instruments but can be performed with harp/strings) Note: You can pair this with The Lover’s Waltz by Unger. Orchestra version and arr. for two violins/piano.

    Five Variants and Dives on Lazarus, Ralph Vaughn Williams (much more advanced than other music above)

    in reply to: Which harp sweetener for iStrobosoft, H1 or H3? #216493

    I bought the Peterson iStroboSoft tuner a couple years ago. The only sweetener was simply for a 47 string harp. I went to the website and see there are two options now. You may have to call or email them. I am curious, too. The tuner is VERY accurate and was well worth the extra money for the sweetener. I found the tuner works better with an iPhone than iPad. The harp tech said the mic is more sensitive in the iPhone.

    in reply to: Music for Harp & Strings #216457

    If you go on youtube, there is a lifetime of ideas and music. One of my favorites is Romance nr 1 for harp and cello by Johann Strauss. Very short but what a fantastic work.

    in reply to: Opinions on brands of transport covers? #216045

    Thank you, Emma. I left a tiny exposed Velcro at the top and bottom of the cover to secure the flap. Ruined enough clothes to figure this out the hard way…I do like the flap covering the zipper. There is just an excess of Velcro, as we know.

    in reply to: Opinions on brands of transport covers? #216026

    Emma, go to a fabric store that sells Velcro in large rolls and buy a six foot strip to cover the Velcro on your harp cover. Problem solved.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 866 total)