Elizabeth Volpé Bligh

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 954 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Open hand glissando #144702

    Hello, Phoebe! Do you mean ascending or descending? One note or multiples? When I do a one-note descending gliss, I keep my hand in a fist and use the thumb. For ascending, I use the 2nd finger with the other fingers in the palm and the thumb up. You could, alternately, leave the fingers open and pointing towards the column in an ascending gliss, or leave the hand open with the fingers pointing up in a descending gliss. Try all of the above and listen to the resulting sounds, and also notice how your hands feel.

    I just got measured for the glasses, so I’ll keep you posted once I have tried them.

    in reply to: Guitar and harp repertoire #61233

    Thanks to Kim and Zoraida!

    in reply to: Help!! Need some suggestions! #61239

    There is a nice suite for harp and clarinet by Paul Reade called The Victorian Kitchen Garden Suite. As for harp and percussion, you could play something Spanish (maybe Baroque Flamenco by Deborah Henson-Conant) and have the percussionist play castanets ad lib.

    in reply to: Help!! Need some suggestions! #61238

    Kevin Fox wrote Lily Lake Road for Lori Gemmell for the 11th World Harp Congress in Vancouver. It is for harp and steel drum, and is a really nice piece.

    in reply to: Saint-Seans Fantaisie fingering #61226

    Beatrice Schroeder Rose’s book “The Harp in the Orchestra” has a fingering for this very section.

    in reply to: New Site–New Forums! #102486

    Hi, Kim! I just posted a question on the Coffee Break forum on music stand, but I don’t see a “request notification” button there. Will that be added? It’s nice to know when you get a response.

    in reply to: How to playing as relaxed as possible? #145368

    Practise very slowly, relaxing each finger and every muscle in your arms completely after every note. If you do this every day, eventually the muscles will stay relaxed even when you are playing quickly.

    in reply to: Advice appreciated on teaching a 5 year-old #82636

    There is a wonderful book by Gabriella Bosio called “I Play the Harp”, which is aimed at teaching very young children. There are some really cute drawings and ideas that help illustrate how to position the hands. I particularly like the “elephant”, (for having the second finger pointing down, like the elephant’s trunk. It made a huge difference for my 7-year-old student. Saying “thumb up, fingers down” does not resonate with a child like saying” Make your hand look like an elephant”.

    in reply to: Nutcracked #145353

    I hate to tell you that I have almost always had to play Nutcracker as a combined part. It’s usually because of lack of space in orchestra pits.

    in reply to: Ideas on beautiful harp solos for juries #165713

    Autumn Wind in the Trees by Sue Rothstein (from Dream Studies) is lovely and not too difficult. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqze7S-MZSI is the video.
    Songs of Nymphs by Marjan Mozetich is drop-dead gorgeous. There are four movements, but there are some sections that are very difficult.

    in reply to: Classical harp solo to fulfill audition requirement #165682

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSY38vZqHY0 is the Cardon Sonata in F minor played on triple harp by Robin Ward.

    in reply to: Does/did your teacher ever expect too much? #145021

    Dear Tayce, Thank you for the historical perspective. That explains a lot! I performed the Mozart several times when I was in my thirties, but I started working on it two years before the first actual performance opportunity. By working up the speed gradually, I was able to get comfortable with it. The flautist and I settled on a tempo of 116 for the first movement, though it would have been easier to get a fuller sound at 112. I used the Urtext edition, but with Salzedo’s brilliant fingerings wherever possible. They make some passages much easier.

    in reply to: Repetoire #155573

    The Swan by Saint-Saens can be played with just harp and cello. It has been transcribed for violin or flute, as well. Also, there is a lovely piece by Villa Lobos called the Song of the Black Swan, which was his response to The Swan by Saint-Saens.

    in reply to: looking at the strings #145412

    Carl’s advice is excellent. Any time that I have a section of music with lots of jumps, I memorize it so that I can look where I’m going. I occasionally try practising with my eyes closed, and it surprises me how accurately I can still play like that. However, I wouldn’t want to take a chance in live performance. I have my glasses set up to read music and therefore my close-up vision is rather blurry, so I find I am relying more and more on muscle memory.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 954 total)