Elizabeth Volpé Bligh

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 954 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Interlude – Ceremony of Carols (Benjamin Britten) #189365
    in reply to: Advice for new performers #188994

    Answer all your email and voice mail the same day or, at the latest, the day after. If a concert promoter has to wait to hear back from you, he or she may call someone else in the mean time. Leave for the gig in plenty of time to get lost, unload everything, tune and warm up. Find out in advance where to unload and park. Have a contract for every engagement. Only take the amount and difficulty of work that you can do well.

    in reply to: Question about playablility #188342

    You don’t always have to suggest the fingering in your beaming. I think most musicians would rather have the beaming reflect the rhythm. Your original excerpt at the top of the page is much more legible to me than this last one. I don’t use the same fingering as Saul’s, so it would not be helpful for me to see it this way. I prefer the most straightforward representation, and we harpists can use our pencils to indicate our own preferences.

    in reply to: Mahler Symphony 2 – Mvt 1, fig 24 #188341

    I play this section with both hands, using isolated sounds when possible. My fingering is 1,2,2,2,2,3. I change the A and B natural pedals simultaneously. I hope this helps.

    in reply to: Question about playablility #187982

    This really looks very simple to me, as it is in your example above. Any professional harpist will be able to figure out their own fingerings, and left hand turnarounds are fine unless they are so high up on the harp that we either can’t get our left hands into the small space or we punch ourselves in the nose. This register is fine for the left hand. The fingering that I suggested will lead smoothly to the next bar.

    in reply to: Question about playablility #187869

    The short answer is that yes, it is playable, with no re-writing necessary. The easiest fingering would be left hand taking the first three notes, right hand taking the next four notes, then the left hand turning around at the top.

    in reply to: METROPOLITAN OPERA AUDITIONS #187868

    Congratulations to Emmanuel and to all the finalists!

    in reply to: String Popping Prevention #187822

    If the string has dents in it near the discs, or if it will not stay in tune, it’s time to replace it. Sorry; that’s all I can suggest. I always have a spare set of strings on hand, just in case a random string breaks even when it looks fine.

    in reply to: Teeth clenching #187318

    It is almost impossible to clench your teeth while breathing deeply, so concentrate on your breathing while you play. You may also benefit from biofeedback, which helps internalize the feeling when you are breathing correctly.

    in reply to: Hello I am Basel #187265

    We are all so relieved that you were able to get out safely, and that you are playing again!

    in reply to: Good and Bad Days #186869

    Even the greatest musicians have good and bad days, but it’s all relative. The wonderful thing about accumulated knowledge and technical ability is that the bad days get less bad all the time. If your brain feels like it just is not absorbing anything, don’t give up. Keep plugging away at it, and you will find that the rough passages will be much better the next day.

    in reply to: Harp glissandi inquiry #186814

    When writing glissandi, write the notes that you want as a scale in a small-case font or as 32nd notes, so that there is no confusion. I dislike it when it just says “Em”, because it does not tell you which kind of Em (natural, harmonic or melodic) or if they want the chord. Personally, when in doubt, I choose the harmonic minor scale, but my ears will tell me if I need to change that assumption. I don’t recommend putting in pedal patterns, especially if you are not a harpist. They can be wrong, but the notes don’t lie.

    Today’s the deadline! There’s still time to tell students about the VSO Institute at Whistler! We have a fantastic pool of applicants from all over the world and we’ve almost tripled our target numbers for year #1. Summer music in one of the most beautiful places on earth- June 28-July 5. Help us spread the word!
    http://www.vsoinstitute.ca

    in reply to: Performing with….uh….difficult conductors…… #186331

    Debussy’s opera Pelléas et Mélisande does have two harp parts, but not the Fauré suite based on the same story. From Wikipedia:
    The plot concerns a love triangle. Prince Golaud finds a mysterious young woman, Mélisande, lost in a forest. He marries her and brings her back to the castle of his grandfather, King Arkel of Allemonde. Here Mélisande becomes increasingly attached to Golaud’s younger half-brother Pelléas, arousing Golaud’s jealousy. Golaud goes to excessive lengths to find out the truth about Pelléas and Mélisande’s relationship, even forcing his own child, Yniold, to spy on the couple. Pelléas decides to leave the castle but arranges to meet Mélisande one last time and the two finally confess their love for one another. Golaud, who has been eavesdropping, rushes out and kills Pelléas. Mélisande dies shortly after, having given birth to a daughter, with Golaud still begging her to tell him “the truth”.

    in reply to: Brahms Four Songs for 2 horns, harp and women's voices #186213

    The Breitkopf and Hartel part is exactly the same as the Simrock, except much easier to read. The Simrock is hand-written, whereas the B & H is done by music software. I still suspect some mistakes, but the notes are exactly the same.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 954 total)