deb-l

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 961 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Camac 22, Camac 27 or Harpsicle #76753
    deb-l
    Participant

    that’s really beautiful! is that your own composition?

    in reply to: Camac 22, Camac 27 or Harpsicle #76750
    deb-l
    Participant

    congratulations Catherine. I really like the Bardic 22s. They sound so bright and cheery. So nice and easy to bring here and there. Must be a big change from your other harp! Most lap harps are bigger and you need to put legs on them or prop them up. The 22 looks like it would be fun to try to place on a table and I bet it’s small enough for backpacking.

    in reply to: Camac 22, Camac 27 or Harpsicle #76748
    deb-l
    Participant

    depends on if this will be your only harp? If so the Camac 27, nice range, portability, tone. If not your only harp, I may go with 22, depending on how portable you need. If you need more durability due to travel, maybe the Harpsicle would be best.. it all depends on what you want out of the harp.

    in reply to: Brand new pedal harp!!!!!!!! #76714
    deb-l
    Participant

    that’s totally awesome Shelby congratulations! Hoping to see pics soon : )

    in reply to: playing wire harp and nylon/flurocarbon #76569
    deb-l
    Participant

    I’ve played mandolin, viola, cello, flute. I loved the flute, but I always longed to play a string instrument. Cello and harp are my two favorites. I’m not sure if cello is harder than harp or just harder for an adult to learn. The only instrument I can’t give up is lever harp. Not for pedals.. and not for wire : )

    in reply to: playing wire harp and nylon/flurocarbon #76567
    deb-l
    Participant

    randal, are you able to play classical guitar with nails on the left hand? I was thinking it may be possible to play left with fingerpads and dampen. thanks for taking up the thread, it’s been an interesting read and I’ve learned a lot about wire harps

    I’m curious about classical guitar, does it take many years of lessons to learn? I love classical but I enjoy teaching myself, figuring things out on my own which is why I play folk. But I listen to classical. I thought of getting another flute (sold mine to pay for harps) which I took lessons for and practiced regularly for years. I could even play some Piazolla and whatever classical I wish on flute, folk on lever harp. Actually flute and wire harp make a nice combination too..

    in reply to: playing wire harp and nylon/flurocarbon #76557
    deb-l
    Participant

    Hi Randal, had to laugh ‘here’s hoping that Deb soon comes to deciding on a harp’

    I am still thinking about wire, but am not sure, been playing with fingerpads a long time, it would almost be like switching instruments. I can’t seem to come to terms with growing my nails shaped so that they don’t get in the way for fingerpads, and find it difficult to play with any nail length at all. I don’t want to play wire with fingerpads, part of the draw for me is using nails.. I wish I could just rent a wire harp for a bit but haven’t seen any available as a rental.

    in reply to: Showing off our new harps! #112471
    deb-l
    Participant

    absolutely gorgeous carving and artwork! it is artwork.. It looks to beautiful to be real. am also curious about the ammonite like Tracey.. can’t imagine what it must be like to play it I think I would get shaky : )

    in reply to: playing wire harp and nylon/flurocarbon #76551
    deb-l
    Participant

    great attitude randal. I have only moved the Dusty downstairs twice in the past year because I’m so worried about dropping or dinging it. It’s a shame to have worry interfere with enjoyment of an instrument. Happy to hear you are enjoying playing your harp after such a long wait. I love the bell-like sound of wire. Did you break her in with any Carolan yet? Hope you get the strings you need soon, that will make a huge difference. Lucky that you already have nails for it. I already caved and cut mine because they were getting in the way for nylon/savarez stringing. I just can’t stand it when they get a little bit long they catch on everything, probably due to my ‘unique’ technique.

    Sherri, thanks for all the info. Wire harps are like a different instrument altogether. Just like pedal harps and lever. I wasn’t able to hear your soundclip, I think I need to install an update. Your luna is beautiful though, thanks for the details on how you use pads and nails to play it. I image it would be fun to be creative with it and play with different effects rather than strictly traditional approach.

    in reply to: playing wire harp and nylon/flurocarbon #76548
    deb-l
    Participant

    randal – so sorry for the trouble you had with shipping. Is there anything VHC can do to file an insurance claim? What if you sent them pictures? It’s too bad the box didn’t show signs of damage, that seems really odd. It seems as though they should be able to advise you on next steps?

    in reply to: playing wire harp and nylon/flurocarbon #76541
    deb-l
    Participant

    I fret the whole time a harp is shipped. That last leg of the journey the clock ticks so slowly.. Once I was waiting for a mandolin to arrive, while I was tracking it the status went to delivered. I called, they said someone signed for it, and they didn’t know where it was. I was a wreck and my husband guessed they delivered to ovation guitars. We took a ride down there and sure enough.. whew!

    Where are you that it’s cold and snow! it’s spring here in New England.

    in reply to: playing wire harp and nylon/flurocarbon #76539
    deb-l
    Participant

    thank you Tacye, that’s a great suggestion and may even help improve my technique!

    Randal, I am looking forward to hearing about your harp when it arrives. I think the big draw for me is that I want to play Carolan on wire and your new harp brought that to mind again!

    in reply to: tell me about your lap harp #76333
    deb-l
    Participant

    Tristan, The Marini lap harp looks like a clever idea with the rubber base but it’s still somewhat large for the lap and I’d have to lean back to play it.. I think it might be more comfortable to play a lap harp propped on a stool, maybe they shouldn’t be called ‘lap’ harps at all..

    Rob, that double Morgan sounds intriguing. I didn’t think you could make bass notes with shorter strings alongside the trebble. Thought they had to be a particular string length to vibrate at the right pitch? It sounds like a lot of fun but I’m not sure I could wrap my brain around having 2 different planes I find lever harp tricky enough.

    in reply to: I’m looking for a lap harp that I can carry with me & #76445
    deb-l
    Participant

    Mia, camac levers are silver, not black. The black one’s are Loveland.

    deb-l
    Participant

    I’ve been playing for 6 years, 3 were on again off again, I consider myself an adult beginner, and always a student. I considered myself a harper when I was first able to play a song fluidly. I’m self taught and stopped working on teaching pieces when I felt my skillset was where I needed it to be to play the music I wanted to play. Not being driven to learn teaching pieces for that next lesson, and only for my own amusement, I’ve developed a plethora of bad technique that would probably always place me as a beginner. That doesn’t really matter to me because it’s a journey and it’s not really linear, and my goal has only been to play for my pleasure and the pleasure of others (on a good day!). If I could share my music publicly in a hospital or social setting for people I don’t know, and have them feel relaxed or uplifted from hearing it, I would consider myself more than a beginner. That’s not necessary for my enjoyment of the harp, and some comments from family members make me beam with pride. Learning the harp is enjoyable every step of the way, from when I first played the harp, including those days I really struggle, to those days when it really clicks and I don’t have to focus on the notes I need to play and it sounds just like how I want it too.. as long as my harp makes that beautiful sustaned hum that I can listen to with satisfaction until I dampen the strings at the end of a song.. it’s a good day for playing the harp.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 961 total)