catherine-rogers

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 584 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Rustle of Spring #233347
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I believe Saul is correct. You can see the piano music on MusicNotes.com. On page 4 there are so many rapid chromatic changes that it looks impractical. Perhaps one could make some judicious omissions. However, the way some harpists whip through Wagner’s opera parts makes me think nothing is impossible! That being said, to make some music (however beautiful) playable on harp is sometimes more trouble than it is worth, and one’s time is better spent on other, less frustrating, equally beautiful repertoire.

    Try Liebestraum by Liszt from Sharon Watson’s book of wedding music from Lyon & Healy. Very nice arrangement.

    in reply to: Lyon and Healy in the 80s #229367
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I thought that was a problem only for Salvi harps from that period. Anyone else know?

    in reply to: Advice on centering stings on an erard harp #228829
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    When the neck is very twisted, it throws everything out of alignment. A new neck fixes a multitude of issues. If this is a very old harp, check with Howard Bryan’s company (www.oldharpsmadeyoung.com) about getting the right kind of strings, too. You don’t want to put too much stress on the instrument by using modern, heavy-weight strings if the harp is designed for earlier, light-tension strings. Just a suggestion. Congratulations on acquiring what is surely a lovely instrument! Hope you have many years of enjoyment with it.

    in reply to: Basel Sara's Passing #228418
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Sylvia, could you please share the link to his obituary? I can’t find it online. Thank you.

    in reply to: Advice on Second Hand Russian Pedal Harp For Sale #227767
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    From what I’ve heard (and I could be wrong), many harp techs in the U.S. won’t work on these harps because they can’t get parts for them. Definitely have a reputable harp technician check out any used harp you may consider buying.

    in reply to: Digital tablets …sheet music conversion #226691
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Debora, the music is stored on forScore on the iPad, so you can be on airplane mode and still access any music on the app while you are playing. You do not need to be online to use forScore.
    I bought an iPad Pro without 4G to make it more affordable; I use it strictly as a music reader, no games, email, etc., although it can do all those things. I scan each piece as a separate pdf (however many pages that includes) onto my desktop at home using a scanner/printer/copier and store each pdf on Dropbox, then download it from there onto the iPad while at home where I have wifi. You can also buy pdf downloads and load directly into forScore on your iPad if you wish; you do need to be online to do that.
    It’s similar to you don’t have to be online to read a book you’ve already downloaded.

    in reply to: Dubois SEVEN LAST WORDS OF CHRIST #226600
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Brilliant! Thank you so much!

    in reply to: Lois Bannerman #226451
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    There was a photograph of a parade float, upon which were Carlos Salzedo dressed as a devil and Lois Bannerman dressed as an angel. I think there was a harp fastened up there, too. It was based on his slogan that you had to work like the devil to play like an angel.

    in reply to: Lois Bannerman #226335
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Last Christmas I performed at a retirement home where an older gent asked if I knew any harpists from Long Island from years ago. The only harpists I could think of in New York at that time were people like Salzedo or Grandjany, but when he said it was a woman, I just mentioned Lois Bannerman off the top of my head. That was the name! He said he lived near them and that he knew Lois and her mother. Small world! He did mention how beautiful she was, which I knew from seeing her photos in the Salzedo School attic in Camden. Wish I could have met her.

    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I defer to Tacye, as I believe she teaches, which I do not, and she would have more experience with a greater variety of harpists and their needs. I have the greatest respect for her!

    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    This is only a suggestion, but when playing pedal harp, probably best to have it rest only on the shoulder and not the knees. Otherwise you may not have room to comfortably move the pedals, especially both feet at the same time. You don’t want your knees bumping into the back of the harp when moving pedals. This is not an issue when playing lever harp.

    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I would buy it!

    in reply to: Harpist who played in ” The Bishop’s Wife” ? #223056
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I bought that same music in an antique store. It’s for piano and not the same key as what is on the soundtrack. I’ve been told it was overdubbed to get the effect wanted, so you’d have to come up with your own arrangement to approximate anything close to what is heard.

    in reply to: My Antique Erard on a movie set #223055
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I remember seeing one in the background of a room of a Lovejoy episode and thinking it looked like a Lyon & Healy Troubadour.

    in reply to: Needed: harp bag #222220
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    It would be difficult for us to know what size harp cover you need, so why not look for used or inexpensive sleeping bags, especially children’s size? Look at Good Will or Salvation Army stores, thrift shops, clearance stores, etc. If an adult size is too large, cut it in half and either sew the edges or, if sewing is a problem, seal raw edges with duct tape or gaffer’s tape. They don’t have to be beautiful, just serviceable.
    That’s a quick fix if you don’t have time to sew a custom cover from an inexpensive twin bed size comforter (I’ve done at least 5 of those, sealed with velcro). Mainly you want something padded and washable.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 584 total)