carl-swanson

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 2,364 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Computerized music notation #253007
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Catherine- I have pages and pages and pages of notes. Every two or three days, I go through them and update my “cheat sheet.” I’m very slowly (very slowly!) memorizing the commands. Bill has been wonderful and patient at helping me out. I spent a half hour on the phone with him today as he figured out how to do a 10 note run of 32nd notes over 2 staves. I spent the better part of an hour tonight re-doing it numerous times until it looked the way I wanted it to look. I’m also learning basic commands that then allow you to do many different things. Option + click is the gateway for many commands. I just keep telling myself when I run into a roadblock, which is often, that there is a way to do anything you want to do. It’s just a matter of figuring it out.

    The most amazing thing about this whole project is that I am setting one of Tournier’s most glorious pieces, the Sonatine for solo harp. Years later, he went back to it and added a violin and cello part. So I’m setting all three instruments. With it set, I can listen to it with pretty realistic sound. I listened to what I had set last night and the piece is just incredible with those strings. I think I’m the first person to hear this version in at least 70 years. I have never seen the published music, never heard it in recital or recording, and I don’t believe more than 5 people in the harp world even know that the string parts exist. But I heard them last night!

    in reply to: Computerized music notation #252997
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Another update- I bought Finale last Saturday! I spent the first two days setting little pieces, but then took the real plunge and started setting Tournier’s Sonatine, Op 30. It’s been really challenging but I’m making progress. I have about 3/4 of the first movement set now, and it is gradually getting easier. I’m slowly remembering all of the commands that are needed and also getting better about finding (and understanding) the information in the Finale manual.

    My biggest break-and I can’t thank him enough-is someone who read my initial post about learning Finale and emailed me privately to tell me that I could call him anytime I need help. OH MY GOD, he has been so helpful, and patient. I talk to him every day and go over my list of questions. I simply can’t imagine trying to learn this without someone to call on who knows the system really well. Because of him, I’m getting more adept at using the whole system, at understanding how the system works, at figuring out on my own solutions to problems that come up, and at finding the information I need on my own. Thank you Bill for all your help!

    in reply to: Computerized music notation #252934
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Update- I took the plunge and bought FINALE!!! I’ve been looking at the tutorials for weeks now and it was just time to do it. I spent all day today wading through the process, setting little tunes from Sam Pratt’s book. It’s frustrating and slow at the moment, but little by little, I’m making progress. It’s going to be weeks or more though before I’m ready to tackle a piece by Tournier. Stay tuned…

    in reply to: Arpeggio studies and inversions #252756
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Are you asking me? I don’t prefer either one over the other. If you play pedal harp, then get the pedal harp version. If you play lever harp, then get that version.

    in reply to: Arpeggio studies and inversions #252741
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    You don’t say if you are studying pedal or lever harp. But one of the best things you can do on either instrument is to use a set of (good) etudes to build technique, and to get your whole technique to the same level. I don’t know what your current level is. But if you are advanced enough(advanced beginner say) to play the Bochsa 40 easy etudes, you should do that. I came out with a new edition of those etudes (1 through 20) a few years ago, and there is a pedal harp version, and a lever harp version. Including those as a regular part of what you are working on will help you enormously, and will help improve your left hand like nothing else will. Both editions are published by Carl Fischer Music and are available at many harp store locations. You can also get them from my web site, http://www.swansonharp.com. If you go to my web site, just click on the STORE tab at the top of the screen. You’ll find them there.

    in reply to: Computerized music notation #252728
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Balfour- As I waded through the tutorials (some of which were really very good, and others not so because the person doing it was going way too fast, or explaining one thing, then doing two other moves without explaining, etc.) I started to see patterns to the processes. I’m sure once I have the program on my computer, it will be slow as molasses at first, and very frustrating. But I have the sense right now that this is something I can learn! Before it’s too late!!

    in reply to: Computerized music notation #252725
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Short update- I’ve been reading tutorials on youtube and taking pages and pages of notes. It’s starting to make sense. I’m going to buy FINALE in probably 2 weeks, when the next several weeks will be completely free to concentrate entirely on this. I also have two FINALE guru’s that I can call with questions. I have to say, I’m really excited about being able to set the music myself, and also being able to play back what I set. That is going to be enormously helpful for a number of the projects I’m planning on doing. As soon as I have set a page that I am happy with, I’ll try posting it here!!

    in reply to: Computerized music notation #252675
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Balfour,

    I know you mentioned somewhere earlier that you had tried “Bells in the Snow” from my Tournier collection, and really liked it. Have you tried any of the others yet? Frankly, the “Ofrande” and “The Eternal Dreamer” are two of my favorites. But I also really like “Moonlight on the lake.” Tournier wrote such gorgeous pieces! And so many of them.

    in reply to: Computerized music notation #252624
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Dearest Catherine- I can beat ANYONE on the dumbness scale when it comes to anything having to do with computers or electronics. I have two computer guru’s that I totally depend on to get me out of trouble when something doesn’t work on my computer, which is often. I also have a gift for accidentally hitting a button and everything on the screen disappearing, and I can’t find it again. Having said that, I’m going to continue asking questions and getting information about this. I have a whole list of projects that I want to do and in the end, I think it would be valuable if I could do this on a computer. Sam Milligan, in his old age became really adept at using a music program. So as I totter into my old age, maybe this is something I should try.

    in reply to: Computerized music notation #252612
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Hi everyone- I just read the two articles from previous Harp Columns about using Sibelius and Finale. OH MY GOD! There is no possibility that I could learn to use these. I can see myself paying $1,000 or more for all of the programs and equipment and then having a stroke or heart attack from the frustration of not being able to figure it out. I will gladly pay someone else to do this if I need to.

    in reply to: Computerized music notation #252591
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Hi Balfour and Catherine- I’m an expert at cut and paste. All of my editions that have come out with Carl Fischer were prepared with buckets of whiteout, an eraser, and pencil or pen(in blue, black, or red). I make all of my changes in my editions like that, and that’s what goes to Carl Fischer. They do the actual engraving, and I then wade through numerous sets of galleys, proofreading each set that I get 20 to 25 times! It’s a travail of Hercules. I thought I might look into learning one of these programs so that I could do the engravings myself. I’m horrible at using a computer for anything at all. So my stomach is in knots just thinking about trying to learn this. But I also see the advantages. My next project-which I’m most of the way through right now- is another piece by Tournier. One of his major works. It is known today only as a solo piece for harp, and is played by all serious harpists. But Tournier went back to that piece 10 or 15 years after he wrote it and added a violin and cello part. It took me several years, but I found two manuscripts of those parts, and I just finished making a full score(harp, violin, and cello) of the piece, doing it my usual way of cutting, pasting, and writing by hand. It made me think that maybe it is time to learn to do this on a computer. I did contact Kim to ask about that article in a previous HC. I’m waiting to hear back from her.

    in reply to: Computerized music notation #252580
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    I thought of another question. If you know how to use one of these computer programs for notating music, how much time does it take to do one page of music? Say something like a difficult classical piece.

    in reply to: Who is in this picture???? #252504
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Hi Saul- Turns out that is not Gayle Levant. So I’m still trying to find out who it is. Had to be a pretty good professional harpist.

    in reply to: First pedal harp – L&H, Pilgrim or Aoyama? #251918
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Hi bunnyandco- I happen to have a Lyon & Healy style 11 for sale at the moment. If you contact me privately, I can send you pictures, a sound clip, and other information. My email address is: swansonharp@gmail.com

    carl-swanson
    Participant

    I think I would try to use wax anyplace I could put it. A car paste wax would be just fine. Put it on with a rag or Q-tips. You could remove each of the tuning pins and coat those completely with wax as well. With the high humidity, the part of the tuning pin inside the neck will rust and make it so difficult to turn the pin that the square end could break off.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 2,364 total)