Biagio

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 976 through 990 (of 1,123 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: New wire harp! #186948
    Biagio
    Participant

    Aw, come on Balfour, what’s another harp more or less? Seriously…I think that’s Jerry’s Limerick model you mention, strung with steel. Works just fine and with steel you can get away with levers too. Some people have wanted it in brass or bronze and that will be OK too if you use tapered pegs where the bridge pins would normally go and drop the range a couple of steps.

    So heck, go ahead my friend, ask Jerry about one when you see him next:-)

    Biagio

    in reply to: New wire harp! #186935
    Biagio
    Participant

    Allison, I’ve finished the design, actually making it will have to wait until I’ve sold some of those I have. Space is getting tight here! Just for giggles, here is a picture of my 26 string wire harp before stringing and with F sharping blades installed:

    http://www.harpcolumn.com/members/biagio/media/1/

    Sigh, it’s an addiction:-)

    Biagio

    in reply to: New wire harp! #186931
    Biagio
    Participant

    I’ll continue the hijack very briefly then get back to wire strings. HIJACK: I’d go for Music Makers’ 10 string steel lyre over the Reverie, you can do more with it. For that matter, buy my double strung 23 for the same price as the Reverie; you can do a lot with that too!

    Most if not all guitar strings are steel which don’t sound as good on a harp compared to brass or bronze, if you ask most clarsairs (me included). Thing about any wire string is that they snap very readily if not properly sized for the intended tension, so it is definitely best to stick with what the designer has put on it. Harps in any case only sound good at much higher tension relative to tensile strength than other stringed instruments. For the lower bass strings, some may be wound to keep the harp from being excessively tall (tension is a function of length and mass for a given frequency). Caswell’s Gwydion for example has five or six wound strings; gorgeous harp by the way! I don’t recall if they are bronze over steel or whatever. Patrick Ball’s harp of about the same size has solid mono bronze bass strings, but it is also taller.

    Biagio

    in reply to: New wire harp! #186924
    Biagio
    Participant

    I looks lovely Allison! True, they are more tempermental than nylon/gut but on the other hand no levers or pedals to worry about and what an incredible sound:-) If you haven’t found this yet, here is Cynthia Cathcart’s series of videos on introduction to the wire strung including a section on stringing:

    Contrary to what she and some others say, they are not under “tremendous tension” compared to nylon/gut. But…brass or bronze is far less elastic so just a millimeter turn on the peg can change the note by over two steps. Also since changing the tension on one can change all the others one must go very slowly at first.

    Hey, can I interest you in a small double strung???? Just kidding:-)

    Heh heh I know what you mean about the nails – never before was very interested in manicure!

    From the Dark Side,
    Biagio

    in reply to: Crack in harp #186914
    Biagio
    Participant

    Come to think of it….Music Makers may not have been reinforcing with a spline 17 years ago. Jerry has said that some of their older Gothics suffered from cracked necks until they started doing that. If you have not already bought the harp – don’t until talking with MM.

    Biagio

    in reply to: Crack in harp #186913
    Biagio
    Participant

    I’m sure that Jerry would be happy to help. That neck is reinforced (though not visible to the eye) with a hardwood spline so the crack “may” be cosmetic. But I think better to be safe. There are several ways to fix it, other than a new neck if that does not seem desirable.

    Easiest: Epoxy a strip of carbon fiber cloth under the neck (use a good strong epoxy such as System III)

    Next easiest: Bend a 3/4″ wide strip of 0.090 brass to shape; screw and epoxy that in place. You can get the brass at most hobby shops or hardware stores (brand name K&S Metals).

    Best left to a tech: Construct a special clamping mechanism, inject your epoxy into the crack, and clamp. Possibly dowel or screws as well.

    Some of the Clarks were made with a hardwood spline – what begins as a cosmetic crack eventually opens up to a major one. I repaired one Clark with the last method and it is holding up just fine. Rick Kemper (Sligo harps) uses the carbon fiber method as a matter of course on some of his repair jobs; Robert Cunningham goes the brass route.

    Good luck, which ever way it goes!
    Biasgio

    in reply to: Good and Bad Days #186902
    Biagio
    Participant

    Nope you are not uniquely inept!! My bad days seem to be more frequent as I age but this is not a big deal. Get plenty of rest, eat well, play as if you mean it – works for me!

    Biagio

    in reply to: Just saying…..new harp comment #186798
    Biagio
    Participant

    Heh heh, sometimes I wish I played the flute! On the other hand, I’m sometimes asked “When will you get a real harp?”

    I patiently explain that if that means a pedal harp I tried it for a while but found it a bit awkward; and that the one I play (a wire claersach) IS the “real” harp.

    Just kidding around a little But at least twice folks have been so interested in the history that they took up the instrument; sometimes pedal, sometimes lever.

    Biagio

    in reply to: String ends/ wooden pegs? #186757
    Biagio
    Participant

    For the thicker strings you can also help matters along with a very small dab of “Krazy glue” before pulling the knot tight. If those thick strings are greater than 0.040″/1.02mm you don’t really need a spline but if it would make you feel more secure, slip a leather washer onto the string before tying the knot. You can get those also from most string suppliers…or again, make your own from a heavy leather belt.

    in reply to: String ends/ wooden pegs? #186755
    Biagio
    Participant

    Sonya, those are pre-cut hardwood dowels, which you can probably find in any hardware store; in the video they appear to be 1 1/2″x 3/8″ birch. That groove in the center is made by gently squeezing the dowel; needle nose pliers work well for this. If expense is no object, ask your string supplier for ready made ones.

    I prefer something less fancy (except on my wire harp). For nylon or gut I like a short length of leather boot lace. The knot on thin strings will compress that leather somewhat more than it would a dowel, but up in the treble you don’t have a lot of room for dowels, and in general I consider the latter to be “buzz potential.”

    Incidentally if you have to thread the string in from the back it is worth your while to get a pair of long-nose “alligator” forceps. Here is one example:

    http://www.sciplus.com/p/ALLIGATOR-FORCEPS_4252

    Biagio

    in reply to: Playing in nursing homes #186748
    Biagio
    Participant

    Another good fake book: “Tunes to Go” by Cynthia Shelhart, 400 favorite tunes with suggested chords, only a few tunes require accidentals. Indexed by genre, cross indexed by title key and name.
    Biagio

    in reply to: Building the wire strung harp #186682
    Biagio
    Participant

    Well, finally (I did say that design takes the most time – grin)! I did not like size of the thing (about 60″/1.5m) with all bronze strings so changed some of the bass to bronze core with silver wrap; the top three string I changed to steel, since there was not as much finger room as I’d like with bronze. Charts and data are here:

    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/virtualharpcircle/files/Building%20A%20Wire%20Harp/

    in the file “Final String Band.” It will be 48″/1.2m tall in sapele. Whew! Now to wait for better weather….

    Biagio

    in reply to: Changing bass wires #186681
    Biagio
    Participant

    I’m with Tacye, sounds like an old wife’s tale to make you spend more money. I suppose that the “proof is in your ears” but I have a hard time understanding any physical reason that new wire strings will sound any better than 2 year old ones and I definitely do not see why keeping old ones on longer would hurt the harp.

    If they have oxidized that might cause less brilliance; cleaning them with light mineral oil will improve the tone. As for hurting the harp: first, the board has become stretched already; changing the string if it has not broken will relax the board somewhat which will in theory hurt it a little when it comes back up to tension. Second, the tension is quite high on a pedal tension harp in the bass and the board is correspondingly thicker. You are not going to damage it!

    Biagio

    in reply to: Building the wire strung harp #186423
    Biagio
    Participant

    Thank you Allison and Balfour! The design phase always takes the longest LOL. First I get the “numbers to look as I want: T/L to decline smoothly from (in this case) around 3.50 to 1.00, %T from 60% to 30% with decent looking lengths. That’s what is posted over on the virtual harp circle.

    Then comes the “interesting” part: transfer it to a drafting table and change things until it actually will look nice. In this case, adjust a few lengths in the upper register and lower the height by about 6 inches. That will make the last two strings wound silver over bronze (nuts). Well, I can live with that.

    So now I’ll hang it on the wall and forget about it for awhile, since experience says there will always be more changes – grin.

    Biagio

    in reply to: Super-Nerves Stories #186413
    Biagio
    Participant

    Yes I’m enjoying it much more thanks Balfour. I really do think that the more relaxed we are the better we do the task at hand. As long as we are not comatose, of course.

    Which is a funny thing since for most of my life I pretty much ran on adrenalin. Note to self: the world will not come to a screeching halt if you miss that one note.

    Besides I have a design for a high head wire strung 32 or 34 in the works….nice way to take a break after the 20th time through a tricky passage.

    Biagio

Viewing 15 posts - 976 through 990 (of 1,123 total)