barbara-brundage

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,381 through 1,395 (of 1,501 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Carbon Fiber Concert Harps….Please soon! #68326
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >Yep, alot of the Daphnes I’ve seen have been pretty nasty. Especially the more recent ones.

    Interesting. I’d say that the European Daphnes I’ve seen lately, especially the larger ones, haven’t been nearly as bad as most of the South American ones were. A couple of the larger ones I’ve played I wouldn’t have minded owning.

    in reply to: Newbie to the harp world! #163907
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I’d suggest doing it the other way round, Becky. Find a teacher first. Most teachers have a harp or two to rent to students and that’s a good way to find out just how much you like it. I never recommend to my students to buy a harp till they’ve had a couple of months of lessons and are sure they want to pursue it.

    in reply to: Carbon Fiber Concert Harps….Please soon! #68319
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    If it makes you feel any better, Rosemary, a friend of mine has one of those early Daphnes for outdoor weddings and she describes hers as “a log with strings on it.”

    in reply to: Grandjany Rhapsodie parts… #87706
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes, the strings are just an add-on. The solo is the solo.

    in reply to: Carbon Fiber Concert Harps….Please soon! #68315
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    especially the South American ones

    should have been “specifically the South American ones”

    in reply to: Carbon Fiber Concert Harps….Please soon! #68314
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I don’t think tiny has all that much to do with this Rosalind. A dud is a dud whether it’s small or large. Listen to a good Wurlitzer A or a Dusty next to a 23. You may not like the sound quality as much, but they are certainly capable of a large sound, (if not as much low register in the Dusty). If you’ve ever seen Ray do his thing where he plays both a concert grand and a lever harp, there’s not the enormous difference in volume there is between a Daphne 40 (especially the South American ones) and almost any other harp model.

    in reply to: Barbara’s Passacaille #164696
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Gee, thanks, everyone! I’ve always thought the Passacaille is a great teaching piece, so I was really happy that it works so well on a lever harp.

    in reply to: Cleaning harp strings #164689
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Just wipe them down with a dry cloth.

    in reply to: History lesson #164714
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I think she has a new one coming out this year sometime, too.

    in reply to: History lesson #164713
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    You can’t do better as a start than by looking for Roslyn Rensch’s three books about the history of the harp. I forget the name of the first one, but the second was “The Harp: Its History, Technique, and Repertoire” and the third is “Harps and Harpists.” Your library may have one or more of them.

    in reply to: Cheap pedal harps? #68458
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Actually, I’ve seen this happen both ways. I would disagree with Carl that the neck has no influence on the sound: with an instrument made of wood, the entire instrument resonates to some extent, not just the board. But I very definitely have seen two instruments sent back to two different highly respected shops that returned as much poorer instruments than they went, although nothing was done but the neck, and I’ve seen the opposite happen, too.

    I had a 17 which was very very beautiful but imcredibly hard to play, although it was my main instrument for about 5 years. The woman who bought it from me knocked it over putting in the car to go to a gig on a windy day. She had to get a new neck, and the sound was very greatly improved by the change in the neck. As far as I know the neck was all that was done–I saw no evidence of any changes in the body, like the extra bracing L&H sometimes puts in, and she was not charged for anything but a neck.

    in reply to: Playing the Harp in Movies #111158
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Thanks for the clarfication, David. Do you happen to know who that is in the Ashley’s birthday party scene?

    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Hi, Bernhard. Sorry, didn’t mean to slight you: I just wasn’t aware of your midi harp.

    Personally, I think midi is a fiddly way to input music, whether you use a keyboard or a harp. I have friends who engrave for Warner and they all use Finale’s speedy entry system, where you type the music in on a computer keybarod. A bit difficult to learn, but very fast once you get used to it.

    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    There are midi harps. David Kortier makes one, which I believe Sylvia Woods uses to input her arrangements.

    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >However, if you are talking about playing the music in, any program is going to require a midi setup. That’s just part of the deal.

    There are several programs that put a little keyboard onscreen that you can use to type in the notes, but most of these only take input on one note at time (your mouse can only click in one place).

Viewing 15 posts - 1,381 through 1,395 (of 1,501 total)