barbara-brundage

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 826 through 840 (of 1,501 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Roland mobile cube #75395
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Hi, David. You must be looking at one of the other ones. This one weighs about 6 lbs.

    in reply to: self-publishing books about harp #102985
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Thank you, Karen. But just to avoid confusion, I was talking about in my other life with publishers and being a kindle edition and a bunch of apps in the app store and all:

    http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2122

    I *wish* I could make that kind of money publishing harp arrangements or performing. 🙂

    Anyway, I hope you enjoy the arrangements when you get around to them.

    in reply to: Roland mobile cube #75392
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    It has one mono mic input and one stereo input. These are quarter inch. Then it has a stereo aux input, too.

    in reply to: self-publishing books about harp #102981
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    The easiest way to get a new book on amazon is to use their self-publishing company, but the terms are harder than for lulu and most of the others.

    And I have to say my publisher would be ecstatic if I were out selling books all day long. Borders and B&N will only take books published by companies who have relationships with their distributors. It’s very complicated, but in-store sales are less of the book market each year.

    Actually, I think the way now is to do an app, if your book is suitable for it.

    in reply to: Roland mobile cube #75390
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Should have mentioned that it’s only $155 on amazon, but since I took up the store’s space and time I didn’t ask them for a better deal. It was worth $14 for a chance to try it out.

    in reply to: First harp advise please! #75383
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes, they go around twice with a little effort and they stay put since they’re very tight.

    in reply to: self-publishing books about harp #102980
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes, it’s different for used books, but they’re weird about current ones, more so than for other merchandise.

    in reply to: self-publishing books about harp #102978
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    > There’s no reason Vanderbilt can’t make money selling the book via Amazon — they just need to get it listed.

    Forgive me, but as someone who makes more money as an author than as a harpist these days, I have to say this statement made me laugh.

    “Get it listed on amazon”–do you have any idea of what it’s like to be an amazon vendor? Amazon demands a huge, monstrous discount. (Why do you think all books are so darned expensive now? It’s because publishers have to knock the cover price sky high in order to be able to give amazon the discount they demand without going broke.)

    Amazon orders the number of copies they think they will likely sell in ONE WEEK. Then you are obligated to provide product at their demand after that. So if amazon sells a copy and they want one copy, you ship them one copy. They charge the earth to participate, too.

    Just as an example, do you know how much of your sales amazon allows you if you do a Kindle edition (which they *will* try to force you into doing, at your expense, whether or not you’ve got anything that anyone would ever want on a Kindle)? They keep 70% of the sale price, you get 30, for the privilege of helping them push their ebook reader.

    in reply to: self-publishing books about harp #102977
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I’m very confused. I thought Sylvia was talking about her book of memoirs, not publishing sheet music, which is a very different thing.

    in reply to: Roland mobile cube #75389
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    $169, but it costs extra for the AC power cord, if you want that, or the carrying case.

    in reply to: First harp advise please! #75379
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I should mention, maybe, that I prefer using goody ouchless mini hairbands, since I’ve managed to flip the dusty rings off the lever a few times when I’m in a hurry.

    in reply to: First harp advise please! #75378
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >the little blue and red “gems” inset into the black levers (to mark the F and G strings) are impossible to see while playing.

    This is no better on the long handled levers. Why not try the Dusty rings on them?

    in reply to: Is my old Clark Irish Harp still playable? #75340
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Just noticed this. His first name is spelled Arsalaan, not Arsilon, so you can look for him for more easily, and his current email is dharps AT juno dot com (at least that was the address in March).

    in reply to: First harp advise please! #75373
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Well, you know, Nat, many years ago an Italian harpist said to me, “To be the harpist, we must have the strong character.” 🙂

    You certainly don’t need to apologize for anything at all.

    in reply to: First harp advise please! #75368
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I don’t know why everyone is getting so tense here. Some people like one, some like another, just like harps. Obviously all have their merits or people wouldn’t buy them.

Viewing 15 posts - 826 through 840 (of 1,501 total)