barbara-brundage

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 1,501 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: self-publishing books about harp #103005
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Combs break almost at once (at least they start losing teeth). Coils that are properly crimped on the ends should stay put, at least until the ends of the pages start to deteriorate.

    I think the plastic coils are generally better behaved than the wire ones that L&H uses (or did) for things like Ray’s books.

    in reply to: self-publishing books about harp #103003
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    You might also contact Victor Roman, since they do some of their Alfred Holy books (or did, anyway) something like what you want, although I believe they did use convention saddle-stitching. But they did find someplace to do the larger format printing on very heavy cream paper, which I presume is also what you have in mind.

    in reply to: self-publishing books about harp #103002
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    If you want a really sewn binding (today ‘saddle-stitched’ means stapled with a long-handled stapler) your best bet is to look for a private bookbinder who does restorations and one-off rebinding. It certainly won’t be cheap, but since that’s evidently not important that’s the only way I can think of to get it done that way these days.

    in reply to: self-publishing books about harp #103001
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Bon chance, then, but you’ll find that the overwhelming majority of musicians prefer coils because the book lays flat on the stand.

    in reply to: New Harp Arrives Today!!! #108282
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Pat, your problem with the last photo is that you seem to have copied the URL from the address bar instead of right-clicking the photo and copying the image address itself. So it requires a facebook login to see the photo. (If I didn’t happen to have a facebook account I couldn’t have gotten there to help.) By copying the actual photo address you can get around that.

    in reply to: New Harp Arrives Today!!! #108281
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Really pretty, Pat!

    in reply to: recording app for ipod/iphone? #75330
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Thanks, Lyn.

    I tried the Alesis protrack that lets you do stereo recording using an ipod as the hard drive, but it seems that there’s a problem with the newest model ipods and the protrack or Blue Mikey (lots of people, including me, having problems with getting a good dock connection), so I’m back to mono on the ipod.

    I appreciate the suggestion for StudioApplite. I tried the Bias iProRecorder and found it very unstable.

    in reply to: New Harp Arrives Today!!! #108279
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    But it’s only a thumbnail, Pat.

    in reply to: self-publishing books about harp #102998
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Well, for anyone else wanting do something like this, I’d suggest using lulu or one of the other POD systems. Your cost is much less, and so are the hassles. All you need is the ability to create a pdf that meets their specs, and an idea of what you want to charge. Mike Parker uses lulu for his excellent “Child of Pure Harmony”, for one.

    in reply to: self-publishing books about harp #102996
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes, I know, Sylvia. That’s why I said I was confused earlier in this thread when people began talking about publishing music. It’s such a different thing.

    in reply to: self-publishing books about harp #102994
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Or see if L&H or Vanderbilt wants to publish it. It’s less profitable, but much less hassle to let them take care of everything.

    in reply to: self-publishing books about harp #102993
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Oops lost part of my reply. Last paragraph should have read:

    If you want dealers to stock it, take care to learn what they require (they all hate comb binding with a passion and many dealers won’t even take a comb bound collection, for example.)

    in reply to: self-publishing books about harp #102992
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    > if I do more than 20 copies, will be around $200 plus set-up charges

    Do your own engraving, set the book up yourself, have it done with a good xerox machine (most printers use a xerographic process these days for runs of less than 500 or a thousand anyway). Someplace like Kinkos or an office supply store can coil bind it for a couple of bucks a copy. Get some colored cover stock for the covers. The copy machines behind the counter that they don’t let you mess with are a whole ‘nother thing from the crud machines out front. Get good stock for the pages; don’t let them pick it up and charge you–you get it and take it to them.

    Or just publish it online at someplace like lulu, if you don’t want to deal with setting up a shopping cart on your own site.

    Take care to learn what they require (they all hate comb binding with a passion and many dealers won’t even take a comb bound collection, for example.)

    in reply to: New Harp Arrives Today!!! #108271
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Congratulations, Pat. How exciting for you!

    in reply to: self-publishing books about harp #102988
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    And I’m saying that it’s a question of scale. You can’t just stick a new book title in amazon marketplace; they won’t let you. And the number of possible sales lost this way doesn’t begin to make up the cost of doing it. I assure you that the people at Vanderbilt are not fools.

Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 1,501 total)