Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
barbara-brundage
Participant> for sound and appearance and value
While I loved, loved, loved my 23 and would still be delighted to have it today if it hadn’t been dropped, I have to say that I have some doubts about “value” anymore.
Tastes have changed (embellishment is not popular anywhere, not just in harps), and the flood of cheap pedal harps may well mean that resale value for the more expensive models will not be what it was in the past.
barbara-brundage
Participant>They get terrible gas milage.
Yes, like 10 mpg terrible, which is a very significant consideration if you plan to do much driving with it.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantIdeally, wires should be changed about once a year, although lots of people don’t. But they’re not meant to be permanent, any more than your other strings.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantAs soon as you can say “over the years” it means you need new strings. You’ll be amazed at how much better your harp sounds, too, probably.
barbara-brundage
Participant>Also Thormahalen make a “lever gut” string that is easier to play than the concert gut but still has the warmer sound of gut.
Hmm, my thormahlen swan that I got last year came with bow brand lever gut strings. The only specifically thormahlen strings I got were the nylons and the wires. Is this new?
barbara-brundage
ParticipantNorah, there is no “when” except for when you want to.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantHave you spoken to Dusty about this? What did they say?
barbara-brundage
ParticipantDeb, I really, really, really wouldn’t do this without talking to someone first.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantBasic parts of the harp:

barbara-brundage
ParticipantI’d give Mr. Pratt a call and see if he has anything to suggest, too.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantArgh. Meant it ought to look like it’s all one big piece there. Splits in that area aren’t good.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantEdit: That made it sound like it should be two pieces, but that ought to be one big piece of laminated pin block–no split, no seam, no nothing. Can you take a photo of that area that’s more straight on and not so much in shadow?
barbara-brundage
ParticipantI think Karen means the area where the wider part of the kneeblock and the neck join up. That concerns me, too, at least based on your photo. It looks like a big split. Do you have another one of that area, Deb?
barbara-brundage
ParticipantYeah, the wire loops/nails were challenging. They’re meant to dig into the neck and scrape a groove, incidentally. Glad it worked out for you, Deb.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantOh yeah. I only found out because the other harpist (who was quite offended, since she preferred to go out under her own name, and refused to do it) told me about it.
-
AuthorPosts