balfour-knight

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,171 through 1,185 (of 1,492 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Do you name your harp? #194956
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    You’re ABSOLUTELY right, Gretchen!

    in reply to: Do you name your harp? #194944
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks, Sonya, for complimenting my story!  Carl, just keep on blaming that harp, ha, ha!

    in reply to: Do you name your harp? #194925
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks, Jerusha!  I love your harp names, and will always use the names I chose for my harps.  They are such special creations, and like someone said, you embrace them to play them.  I cannot imagine not naming something so special as your harp!

    in reply to: Do you name your harp? #194847
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Gretchen, you are SO BAD, ha, ha!  I loved it!

    Emma, those are wonderful names and explanations to go along with them.

    Everyone, enjoy my “Strange But True” story!

    Best wishes,

    Balfour

    in reply to: Harp Angel? #194844
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hello, you do not say where you are located.  If you are in the vicinity of the Atlanta Harp Center, they rent harps, which might help you out financially.  All rental fees can be applied toward the purchase of the harp, and they offer trade-up opportunities also.  They are located in Alpharetta, GA, USA.

    in reply to: Do you name your harp? #194843
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Guys, this thread is TOO FUNNY, ha, ha!  Thanks Carl for your “joyful contribution,” and I know just what you mean.  However, I usually do that while practicing the piano or organ, not while playing my beautiful harps.  My harp princesses are too sweet to say something like that to, ha, ha!

    in reply to: What's similar to Voltz, Barnwell, and Boddie? #194829
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi again, Jodi,

    In looking over the musical selections on Rhett Barnwell’s website, Seraphim Music, I see three more new pieces composed or arranged by Brook Boddie.  They are “Amazing Grace,” “Elegy,” and “Thanksgiving.”  Just thought I would let you know–I have all of them and Brook did a great job.  His arrangements are very playable on any kind of harp and are a joy to play.

    Best wishes,

    Balfour

    in reply to: What's similar to Voltz, Barnwell, and Boddie? #194684
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi, Jodi!

    I noticed the reference to “Essence of the Swan” in this thread, and I am replying to you since I am the arranger of that particular piece.  Angi Bemiss is a dear friend of mine, and I have done several arrangements for her over the years, in the books with my name listed along with hers.

    Angi has covered a vast territory of all types of music in her books and sheet music offerings.  They are mainly suitable for Intermediates, and most of the selections can be sight-read by harpists who play at this level.  The first arrangement I did of “The Swan” for her is considered difficult for the intermediate level, with many lever changes (Classical Selections, Book Two).  In response to a demand for a simpler, more playable version, I did the “Essence of the Swan” which can be played by late beginners or early intermediates.  Many of Angi’s loyal following are harp hobbyists playing mainly for their own enjoyment.

    I hope this helps to answer your questions.  If you go to Angi’s website, Simply the Harp, and have any questions, please feel free to ask her or me about any of the arrangements you may be interested in.  Then you will get it “straight from the horse’s mouth,” so to speak, ha, ha!

    Best regards and happy harping,

    Balfour

    in reply to: Bach fugues for the harp? #194683
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Sorry, I have been away from the computer for a “spell,” ha, ha!  Adolfo and Biagio, I love the YouTube videos.  What a great variety of music is represented here!  I only play the middle part of Chopin’s “Fantasie Impromptu” on the harp (the “I’m Always Chasing Rainbows” part in D flat Major) and I am still marveling at that harp rendition of the other fast parts with all the accidentals!  Adolfo, I think that everything Sylvain plays is superb, and the Liszt is especially beautiful.

    Biagio, I put the original strings in my harpsichord in 1974 and so far, only one has broken–amazing, and they were really good quality strings.  I also built a clavichord in 1980 which I still have and play, and only one bass string (phosphor  bronze) has broken.  They are much longer lasting than regular harp strings, I’m sure!  How long do these wire strings last on a harp?

    I have enjoyed all the posts, friends.  Keep them coming!

    Best thoughts,

    Balfour

    in reply to: Thoughts? 44 string pedal not having low E, D, C #194529
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks!  That’s a very nice picture.  I wish you all the best!

    Balfour

    in reply to: Thoughts? 44 string pedal not having low E, D, C #194499
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Here we are, Karen, with our L&H 85GP!  Hope I did this “file insert” correctly!  I am also a “caveman” like Carl S. said in a recent post, about this sort of technology on the Internet, ha, ha!

    Best thoughts,

    Balfour

    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    in reply to: Thoughts? 44 string pedal not having low E, D, C #194496
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Here we are, Karen, with our L&H 85GP!  Hope I did this “file insert” correctly!  I am also a “caveman” like Carl S. said in a recent post, about this sort of technology on the Internet, ha, ha!

    Best thoughts,

    Balfour

    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    in reply to: Inherited Sebastien Erard #194495
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Have you talked to anyone at the Atlanta Harp Center?  I know that Tom Bell, harp technician, will be there in May.  You may want to speak with him and have him examine this harp to let you know if he thinks that a restoration would be feasible.  There are several old harps at the AHC currently, by their website, that may be of interest to you.

    All the best,

    Balfour, in NC

    in reply to: Bach fugues for the harp? #194494
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi, Adolfo,

    I enjoyed reading your latest post, immensely!  Have you listened to harpist Sylvain Blassel play the Bach Goldberg Variations?  It is on YouTube and there was something on the HC Home page posted about him and this recording.  I actually like his rendition better than actual harpsichord recordings of this great work, because of the expressive abilities of fingers on the harp strings.  The lack of expression on the harpsichord was the main reason that the pianoforte took over as the “main” keyboard instrument.  Of course in the fugues, this eveness of tone is an asset, so that all the voices can be heard simultaneously.

    My favorite recordings of Bach on the harpsichord include J. S. Darling in Williamsburg, VA, and H. Max Smith in Boone, NC.  I do not think that any of them are on YouTube, unfortunately.  If I find any, I will let you know.

    Biagio, those were great videos!  Still waiting, Tacye!

    Thanks, everyone, for your wonderful contributions to this thread.

    Best wishes,

    Balfour

    in reply to: Thoughts? 44 string pedal not having low E, D, C #194493
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    It’s wonderful to hear you got your 85E, Karen!  What finish does it have?

Viewing 15 posts - 1,171 through 1,185 (of 1,492 total)