Audrey Nickel

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 547 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Harp Volume #164478
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    I wonder if you and your husband couldn’t come to a compromise.

    in reply to: what if you really have to fly with your harp? #164532
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    You’re right…I always get the conversion backwards.

    in reply to: what if you really have to fly with your harp? #164528
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    According to the link I posted, the Ravenna would not be allowed as hand luggage on any American airline.

    in reply to: what if you really have to fly with your harp? #164525
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    I did a search on “carry-on luggage” and found this site:

    http://sharonluggage.sitewizard.biz/carry_onguidelines.html

    One thing to take note of, which the above site mentions, is that carry-on may be restricted based on number of passengers and the individual airplane’s space allocation.

    in reply to: what if you really have to fly with your harp? #164524
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    Here are the dimensions of my Ravenna in its case, if that helps:

    Height (from base to the highest point of the neck): 40″

    Width (at widest point, measuring from the front of the neck back to the back of the sound box): 23 1/2 “

    Width of base (an issue if you lay it on its side): 14″

    Approximate weight: 15 pounds/33 kg

    Unfortunately, I don’t have a measuring tape that includes metric measurements, and it’s been a long time since school, but perhaps someone else can put the dimension measurements into metric for you.

    If you go to the airline’s website, they should be able to tell you what the size limitations are for carry-on.

    in reply to: what if you really have to fly with your harp? #164522
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    I don’t know if there’s a size difference between the FH and the Ravenna, but I’ve done a lot of flying, and have yet to see an airliner bin my Ravenna would fit in.

    Audrey

    in reply to: what if you really have to fly with your harp? #164520
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    A Ravenna 26 will not fit on the plane with your hand luggage.

    in reply to: Quick question about music writing #164630
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    I mean which way to play a rolled chord.

    Audrey

    in reply to: playlist #164615
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    My teacher was recently asked to play the theme song from Disney’s Aladdin! (yuk!)

    Audrey

    in reply to: Harp n’ hotel #164648
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    I’ve played penny whistles with me in hotels, and never had any problem with the other tenants or the management.

    in reply to: Harp n’ hotel #164645
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    I would think you might need extra insurance…most hotels don’t insure personal belongings unless they’re in the hotel safe (and I’m pretty sure a concert grand won’t fit!)…and even if they do, it may not cover something as expensive to replace as a harp. You’ll also need to think about what you’ll do if you stop to eat or something like that along the road…you’re not going to want to lug that big harp inside with you (though it might cause quite a stir!), but you also won’t want to leave it in your vehicle in the summer heat.

    in reply to: Here’s an O’Carolan question #164637
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    One technique is sliding…that works well for adjacent notes.

    in reply to: Here’s an O’Carolan question #164635
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    Most harpers of that time were blind…smallpox was rampant, and music was pretty much the only way a blind man could make a living. (“Dall” is Irish for “blind,” and you’ll find several harpers of the time with “dall” in their names). There were techniques they used to find their way around the harp (my teacher’s shown me a couple), so it really wasn’t all that big an impediment.

    Audrey

    in reply to: Harp & Soul #164667
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    Sometimes I just like to sit there with my harp leaning against my shoulder…it just feel so right there!

    in reply to: cool slang names for pieces #108709
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    Well, on the hymn side, there’s also “Gladly the Cross-Eyed Bear” (presumably the sequel to “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer”.

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 547 total)